DIY Thread - Let's see your "Inventions".

I took another look at the shipping of 10 -2 x4' x 1/32" sheets from RidOut/Eplastics in San Diego to various destinations. it looks indeed to be one flat rate of $37 to the 2 or 3 zips I entered, including NJ AND VA. Nice to know Home Depot has it, and in 4' x8' too, but this is such a better price I think I'll try them first.
FYI, you shouldn't have to have it cut if it's already a good size. 2 x 4' is about as big as shipping is reasonable on tho I think so I'll take that price.

How do you cut it?

Quote:
There are a couple of ways to cut Polycarbonate.... for the thin stuff you can use a skill saw with a wood cutting blade Just put the blade in back wards. And cut with the plastic supported on both sides. Like a couple of tables pushed together with a half inch gap in the middle so you dont cut your table. this also works for corrugated plastic or even tin.

Another way is to score and snap. This only works for straight cuts like if you want to shorten the piece or narrow it. The following is the tool and the process for scoring.

http://toolguyd.com/plastic-scoring-knife/

if you have to notch like say for around an existing piece of wood you can use a Jig saw. Again with a wood blade.

For holes larger than what a drill bit could do you can use a hole saw that is designed for cutting through wood....

hole saw

Thin materials require they be backed up so ifyou need to cut a hole with a hole saw put a piece of sacrifical wood behind it when you cut. Dont use alot of pressure let the tool do the job.

deb

Last edited:
There are a couple of ways to cut Polycarbonate.... for the thin stuff you can use a skill saw with a wood cutting blade Just put the blade in back wards. And cut with the plastic supported on both sides. Like a couple of tables pushed together with a half inch gap in the middle so you dont cut your table. this also works for corrugated plastic or even tin. Another way is to score and snap. This only works for straight cuts like if you want to shorten the piece or narrow it. The following is the tool and the process for scoring. http://toolguyd.com/plastic-scoring-knife/ if you have to notch like say for around an existing piece of wood you can use a Jig saw. Again with a wood blade. For holes larger than what a drill bit could do you can use a hole saw that is designed for cutting through wood.... hole saw Thin materials require they be backed up so ifyou need to cut a hole with a hole saw put a piece of sacrifical wood behind it when you cut. Dont use alot of pressure let the tool do the job. deb
Thanks, Deb. I have all that except the scorer. I got one for linoleum when I built the coop

@PrimroseMom1 those Scorers are worth their weight in gold. And pretty cheap about as cheap as a box knife. They have a multitude of uses. Like after cutting plastic you can run the hook part down the edge of the plastic and all the little spikey parts come off. Good for opening a can of paint.... peeling back the plastic on the polycarbonate sheets... (I have consumed my fingernails)... Urrr well you get the idea.

deb

@PrimroseMom1
   those Scorers are worth their weight in gold.  And pretty cheap about as cheap as a box knife.  They have a multitude of uses.  Like after cutting plastic you can run the hook part down the edge of the plastic and all the little spikey parts come off.  Good for opening a can of paint....  peeling back the plastic on the polycarbonate sheets... (I have consumed my fingernails)...  Urrr well you get the idea.

deb

Thanks, Deb. You are a beautiful wealth of info and always willing to provide good solid answers to questions.

One thing to note with working with plastics like Acrylic Lexan or Polycarbonate sheets..... Power tool cutting generates heat if you use blades designed for steel there wont be enough time for the chips to get out of the way before they heat up and melt sealing the hole up behind the tool.

How do I know? Yep.... did it. working with salvaged plexiglass one inch thick. when I was in Highschool they wouldnt let girls take wood shop. yep I am that old. but my dad was a machinist and he had all the tools in the garage. I was using a band saw to cut through the plexiglass (making parts for some chess pieces) Got half way through the sheet and Oops sealed up behind. Dad switched it to a wood blade an told me to slow down... voila....

rule of thumb.... let the tool do the work. Sharp tools are safer.... Just like sharp knives.

deb

Quote:
There are a couple of ways to cut Polycarbonate.... for the thin stuff you can use a skill saw with a wood cutting blade Just put the blade in back wards. And cut with the plastic supported on both sides. Like a couple of tables pushed together with a half inch gap in the middle so you dont cut your table. this also works for corrugated plastic or even tin.

Another way is to score and snap. This only works for straight cuts like if you want to shorten the piece or narrow it. The following is the tool and the process for scoring.

http://toolguyd.com/plastic-scoring-knife/

if you have to notch like say for around an existing piece of wood you can use a Jig saw. Again with a wood blade.

For holes larger than what a drill bit could do you can use a hole saw that is designed for cutting through wood....

hole saw

Thin materials require they be backed up so ifyou need to cut a hole with a hole saw put a piece of sacrifical wood behind it when you cut. Dont use alot of pressure let the tool do the job.

deb
I'll add to deb's good advice and experience here, I have a lot of engineering and fabrication experience also.

For 1/32 thick polycarb you could probably cut it with a good heavy pair of scissors or very sharp metal shears.
But a scorer would probably work best, use a good clamped straightedge and take a little at a time with several passes.

The thinner the material, the finer toothed saw blade you want to use.
With a jigsaw I'd use a metal cutting blade(finer teeth) and GO SLOW....I don't think you can run the blade backwards in a jigsaw.
Variable speed jigsaw can really help as you can control the speed of the blade movement

Skill Saw(hand held circular saw) ....finer teeth and run blade backwards so it 'scrapes' rather than 'cuts'...and GO SLOW!!

Hole Saw in drill motor, drill a pilot hole very carefully first, run the holesaw in reverse(like backing out a screw), again scraping rather than cutting.
Variable sped drill motor can help here too with controlling blade speed.

Polycarb is fairly forgiving, but acrylic can violently grab a too large a toothed blade if running it in the regular orientation and shatter either running forward or backward.

Ducks are messy because of their use of water. Solution: Catch the water before it hits the bedding! This is a 24x18x8 plastic tote, with a wooden frame built snugly around it, and covered over with hardware cloth. Installed a handle on one side, to easily lift the frame and pull out the tote when it needs emptied, about twice a week. Way better than mucking out wet bedding every day! Someone in the duck section made one from a plastic drawer style tote. You can also make a smaller one for ducklings, or build it into a duck coop by having part of the floor as hardware cloth, enough to allow for at least 6 inches of open wire around the drinker.
Great idea!

Back
Top Bottom