DIY Thread - Let's see your "Inventions".

Another KISS idea..

Put grit into a heated dog bowl deep enough to to form a stable base and raise the waterer up to the rim level; put water in the grit to conduct heat. Place one of these 2 kinds of waterers on the bed of grit depending on which sizes you have.

Quart size heated bowl fits the chick sized water bases which cost about $2 and can be used with any regular mouth canning jar or a 5 lb honey jar which holds 1/2 gallon. This photo shows the 5 lb. honey jar (apx. 1/2 gal. water). (I used this size all last winter successfully with all age birds.)

The 5 quart larger dog bowl fits a 2 gallon waterer:
Photo by @hoosiercheetah
LL

Hoosier Cheetah is trying this size this year and so far has kept thawed. Watching to see how it does in negative temps.
I'm trying the girt thing as soon as possible, when I clean the waterer the water in the dogs dish is gross! And I'm fending off the chickens trying to drink before I can dump the water to refill.

So not an invention at all, but since we have a goat who hangs out in the yard with the chickens during the day, we have a 100 gallon water trough out there that is heated. We drilled some holes around the trough and screwed in some horizontal nipples and tada! Everyone can use it now! It's actually pretty cute to see the goat drinking with chickens drinking at the same time.
welcome-byc.gif
That is so cool.

Back
Top Bottom