DIY Thread - Let's see your "Inventions".

That hasn't really seemed to be an issue for us, the heater cable rests on the bottom of the bucket and as long as there's some liquid water in the waterer I've got in there at the moment, the nipples seem to be working. I think enough heat radiates through the bottom to keep them from freezing, although the space blanket I've got in between might change that. We'll see how it goes.

*Edit* To clarify, it hasn't been an issue in the uninsulated bucket that's in there at the moment. But because the new waterer is going to be insulated on all sides except for the bottom, I think it should keep them from freezing.

Must be you don't get too cold there in Finland Felix. Looks like Helsinki bottoms out (on average) at a balmy 14F.

Like aart, I would think it beneficial to insulate around the external plastic part of the nipple. My saddle nipples are larger so there is more exposed area. I built them into the bottom of the nest box with ONLY the pin sticking out below the plywood. There is rigid foam under and along the side of the pipe and nipples and over the top. The water is heated to ~75F and is constantly circulated from the bucket through the pipe and back to the bucket. The pins can still freeze at -20F.

Thus, for your design, I think I would put the nipples in the inner bucket with a hole in the outer bucket just large enough for the bottom of the nipple and the pin to stick out and foam the space between. Of course this makes replacing nipples a huge PITA.

Just curious of this will be outside in the element so to speak or in your coop. Also how cold does it get in Finland were you are at?
It will be out in the run, but I've got it shielded from snow for winter with corrugated plastic, so it's as cold as it is outside, but the wind won't reach it. It hasn't been too cold yet this winter, mainly we've been hovering barely below freezing, but we've had a couple of -20 C (-4 F) stretches so far. Usually you can expect something along the lines of -5 C to -10 C. My current waterer gets useless below -2C, so I thought I'd try this one instead. Once I get it assembled and working, I'll report how it's working.

Bruce, yeah, it's a lot warmer here in the south than up in Lapland. I'm not expecting this to work in -20C, but if it will keep the water from freezing until -10C, it will be a huge relief.

Here's a teaser, waiting for some nipples to arrive in the mail.

Three liter bucket with space blanket wrapped around it (silver side in), there's some on the bottom of it too and it's glued to the inside of a 8 liter bucket, with some PU foam between the buckets (not on the bottom, since the nipples will go there). Once the nipples arrive, I'll drill holes in the bottom for them, and then I need to make a hole for the heater cable to go inside. And then I just need to cut out a lid from PU insulation board, and it's done.

Ok, here's an update on the build. It's not pretty, but if it seems to be working, I'll use the same principals on a prettier version.

Bruce, it doesn't break off so easily. At the moment it sits there loosely, so it's easy to get off, but I though I'd attach it to the lid properly, making opening the thing easier. Right now I've got two lids and the insulation in between, that's a bit over complicated in my opinion.

You know sometimes its best to be in the dark when it comes to design. Because you arent constrained to other peoples idea of what to do. I absolutely love this idea of a removable front for the nest boxes. The execution is brilliant in my opinion. Simple and easy ...

As a designer my hardest job was to Keep It Simple Stupid.... LOL.... KISS VERY good job on the nest boxes....
thumbsup.gif

deb

I just now saw your comment - thank you! I've changed nest boxes several times, built different ones, but it's all been fun for me! Always using scraps! I have continued to use the removable front board in them, though!

Quote: Just saw this post, too. Haven't been on here for quite some time! You are welcome! It is a rather mess to clean up, though (at least I found that to be true). I had to change it quite often, but worth the price!!
Looking at these pictures, almost 2 years ago already, I only have 2 of these original chickens now! Went from 17 down to 5 in 2 years, now have 17 again, but no rooster! What fun it's been!!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom