DIY Thread - Let's see your "Inventions".

I made a poop sling out of plastic tablecloth fabric and heavy duty snaps. So easy to take the poop out (it doesn't stick to the plastic) and unsnap to hose it down. I use pine shavings for odor control.

Last edited:
I would think it would be easier to dump the hammock contents by using the dowels as 'handles'?

Actually it is very easy to scoop the waste out with the pine shavings once a week. Takes me less than 2 minutes. I have an open bag on the coop floor. I use the clear plastic sheves the newspaper comes in to cover my hands. If I want to hose it down every now and then, I scoop it out and unsnap it. Hose it. And then snap it back. The poop doesn't stick to the plastic. If I were rebuilding it, I probably would use releasing cups, but the way I have it is so easy and quick, it's not worth making the change.

I don't have to remove the dowels. I just unsnap the sling. It snaps around the dowels lengthwise with heavy duty snaps. I built one sling with canvas and Velcro. It did not do nearly as well.

I employ a poop boards located higher than the nest boxes.
I have my 2x4 roost 3½ inches from my poop board.

I find the spacing ideal it saves the day when eggs are laid through the night while they are roosting (same as in your set up.).

I have my roost in cups and can just put them to one side when cleaning the board. I have my poop board covered with vinyl flooring and do not bother with shavings under the roost. In the winter poop just freezes and pops off with a flex of the vinyl flooring. In summer scrap it off in the compost bin and give it a quick rinse with the hose.

I like you ideas. What ever works and is convenient for your set up. Well planned and thought out thank you for sharing.

Nest boxes
In my nest boxes I fold a feed bag to fit (nest boxes are 1 ft³). When a bag gets soiled; fold a new one; pop out the soiled; pop in the new. Feed bags are a nylon mesh bag.
Frozen poop just peels off in below freezing temperatures and just flakes off in summer when left out in the sun to bake and dry.

I have 65 trips around the sun it is the best method I have stumbled upon.

Make sure the twine is removed from the open end of the bag it can get tangled around your birds.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom