DIY Thread - Let's see your "Inventions".

Great thread! ok, I have two things to show you. I made my hawk proofing out of cloths line and cable ties. I stained the rope, let it dry, then put it up. I also made the perch you see in the run. It's made out of my son's old crib!!! You sadly can't see the top because I threw a tablecloth over it to give the girls something to get out of the rain. I normally don't have it on there. Old cribs are a dime a doz. My big girls like it, my silkies don't use it of course. Everyone loves to go under it though.

My next project is a lean to, one side for food, the other for dust baths. I'll be making it out of pallets :)

Can't wait to see more on this thread!!!!

Just out of curiosity, why stain the rope?

When I built my coop, I used the space inside the wall for a feeder. It saves space inside the coop. There is a small door on the exterior wall to fill from, and on the inside of the coop, the feed goes down into a tray. The tray can be removed for cleaning, but so far, it has stayed very clean. Water cannot get in since the fill door is under the roof of the run so it stays nice and dry. I'm sure I'm not the first person to do this, but this set up works very well for me.

awesome..I have thought about doing this as i build my new coop. But was unsure about moisture in the wall cavity rotting the feed.

awesome..I have thought about doing this as i build my new coop. But was unsure about moisture in the wall cavity rotting the feed.

It has stayed nice and dry. But remember, the fill door is under the run roof. There is no posibility of any moisture getting in. I would not recommend doing this if there was any chance of rain getting into it.
It's a great space saver, for sure. I can load lots of feed in there with no worries.

I have external nest boxes on my coup where you lift the roof to access it to collect the eggs. When I built the coup I never got around to putting shingles on the lid. when I did add the shingles it was too heavy. My solution was to add a counter balance. I used 2 pulleys and some light weight steel cable. One end of the cable is attached to the lid. the cable goes up to the top of the wall through a pulley then over to the side and through another pulley and then down to my counter balance. The counter balance is a piece of 4" pvv pipe filled with cement. Now when I lift the lid it stays right where you put it so you don't even have to hold the lid up. I'll add a pic later tonight.

Back
Top Bottom