DIY Thread - Let's see your "Inventions".

I have external nest boxes on my coup where you lift the roof to access it to collect the eggs. When I built the coup I never got around to putting shingles on the lid. when I did add the shingles it was too heavy. My solution was to add a counter balance. I used 2 pulleys and some light weight steel cable. One end of the cable is attached to the lid. the cable goes up to the top of the wall through a pulley then over to the side and through another pulley and then down to my counter balance. The counter balance is a piece of 4" pvv pipe filled with cement. Now when I lift the lid it stays right where you put it so you don't even have to hold the lid up. I'll add a pic later tonight.

Yes! Mine is very heavy as well. I am looking forward to see your pictures and hopefully use it as a model to correct my current issue.

I have a few pics. This is a pic of a covered outside feeder that is in the chicken yard. I only have to fill it up every 2 weeks. It holds enough feed for 150+ chickens, ducks, geese, turkeys, etc. It can stay in the weather and the feed does not get wet or moldy because it has a covered roof.

I"ll look for more pics to post.

This is my rain-water collection system under construction.. This will feed my nipple watering system inside the coop. I plan on having removeable couplings so I can take it apart for cleaning and such. So far in testing it catches alot of water and I have several screens for filtering debris out and the water looks great. I wll post more pics as updated. Any ideas or suggestions are appreciated....

Here is an update on my rain-water collection system...I did a mock up of the piping system including shut offs and disconnecting couplings so I can take part of the system apart for cleaning or up keep..I also put a "T" in it adding a line to fill a bucket or draining of the system...The "trap" in the upper line is to keep bugs from entering that way as well as providing a overflow....Seems to be working pretty well and I will paint it all black when I am done and get the parts glued up but no leaks even without glue.

side view(Above) end view(Below)

Back
Top Bottom