DIY Thread - Let's see your "Inventions".

Pics
The heat is a down side of this, but it needs to be black to keep the algae from growing in the water
wink.png

Keep the same black barrel for the sunblocking factor, just paint it white so it won't soak up so much heat. Remember to use an appropriate primer or paint for plastic.

cool thread all my stuff is diy, i have a six coop breeder pen with a feeze proof rain water capture system that I have not had to fill or clean since i built it, it feeds a nipple watering system on one pvc line that goes through all the coops, it also has an automatic lighting system using a dawn to dusk senser and an outdoor timer, it has diy pvc hopper feeders in each cage, bu i am working on a zero waste feeding system now, i'll update when that is done, let me see, i have a tractor that i built in one day that is part deck box and part really cool, i think i have about $125 in it, oh and a mini tractorversion of my breeder coops. all this stuff is on my page I think, my coop is on the coop contest page

This is the feeding system in my new coop. I attached a steel cable across the top and tightened it using a turn buckle (Lowes hardware). The feeders are attached with carabiners that slide back and forth for easy filling. As they get bigger/taller, I'll raise the feeders one chain link at a time. The funnels were <$1 at Walmart (auto dept) and make it impossible for them to perch on top. I also put eye hooks in the floor and used small bungie cords to keep the feeders from swinging when bumped.

This is working marvelously @ 6 weeks old, but the jury is still out on how it will work when they're fully grown!

One byproduct of my chicks is empty feed bags. I've been using them as planters for my vegetable garden (roll down tops, fill with soil, poke drain holes) and last summer grew lemon cucumbers and tomatillos in them. This year I plan container eggplant, peppers and carrots. I also have a couple of bentwood rocking chairs whose bottoms wore out. Since I am hopelessly aweful at caning, I used feed bags, cut them to size, used carpenters glue and staples to attach them to the chair bottoms. They are holding up great, are very comfortable and my husband loves the rustic look. Will try to get pictures to post.

This is the feeding system in my new coop. I attached a steel cable across the top and tightened it using a turn buckle (Lowes hardware). The feeders are attached with carabiners that slide back and forth for easy filling. As they get bigger/taller, I'll raise the feeders one chain link at a time. The funnels were <$1 at Walmart (auto dept) and make it impossible for them to perch on top. I also put eye hooks in the floor and used small bungie cords to keep the feeders from swinging when bumped.

This is working marvelously @ 6 weeks old, but the jury is still out on how it will work when they're fully grown!

GREAT Idea with the bungee cords. After watching my 2 week old fluff butts zooming around their chick playpen outside today, and knocking into the waterer, I wondered what will stop a full grown bird from knocking into and spilling the hanging feeders I plan to have in my run. Thanks for posting!

Clever!! How easy is it to refill that water though? Do you bring water out to the coop or have to disassemble it a couple times a day to refill it?

We're working on "varmit-proofing" our chicken yard right now. My husband mentioned putting up twine or something in the yard to keep the hawks at bay. We do love out hawks though. they have kept the squirrel population down to a much more tolerable number! but they do love our gurls. :-( how far apart should the lines be? I'll be stretching the lines among the various trees in the yard. Our girls have a lot of cover in their yard - lots of azaleas and other bushes, besides the trees.

Mine work well and I have approx 16 in squares. I have the clothsline running in both directions and attach a zip tie at most intervals. Hope this helps! Pic is on first couple pages.

Back
Top Bottom