1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

dizease = no eggs?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by flockmarket, Oct 27, 2011.

1. flockmarket

flockmarket Out Of The Brooder

Aug 11, 2011
    hey guys,
    so whats the probability that a dizease has gotten into the flock and kept my chickens from laying? i havn't had eggs for about half a year i believe. im starting to get angry. they look healthy, but i don't know what else it could be. it would just kill me to have to get rid of them.

2. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    Quote:A disease would stop your girls from laying but so will stress, molting, lice, mites etc...have you looked into any of that on them?? How old are they?

3. Noobchick

Noobchick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2011
    Creedmoor, NC
    Theres a permanent thread at the top of the Egglaying board that talks about all the various reasons why chickens don't lay. Might be helpful to you

4. flockmarket

Aug 11, 2011
    i have some pullets, a young pullet or old chick, and some older hens.

5. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    Quote:Have you looked for hidden nests? do they free range??? Every year I find 2-3 huge hidden nests in spots that are right under my nose-but would never think to look there!

6. flockmarket

Aug 11, 2011
    i don't know, i mean i often look but can't find any, when i leave them up all day i still can't find any... maybe ill take one more look! i found a secret nest with like 20 eggs before, so maybe its worth a shot. ... hmm.

7. welasharon

welasharon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2010
    North Florida
    Mine are all molting. They cut way back and/or stop while they do that. I have 12 hens. Today I got three eggs. Some days there are none.
    Edited grammar....

Last edited: Oct 31, 2011
  8. greycat

greycat Out Of The Brooder

Oct 30, 2011
    Just a thought here..............
    Do you have nesting boxes for them that is in a darkened area and off the floor?
    are the nests large enough? I have 2 sizes but they seem to prefer the larger ones. usually there are up to 3 hens at a time on a single nest. I use 15 gallon squat nursery pots for nests with a small bit of straw in the bottom. They love to get down in them so they can "hide"
    Hens do their best work in private

I have seen cases where chickens that dont have a semi dark private area to lay will sometimes just drop their eggs on the ground and they will immediately peck and eat them shell and all and wont leave a trace.

my chickens wont bother an egg if it is in the nest, but will instantly eat one that is not in the nest.

It's a terrible cycle to break if they ever get started eating eggs. Its like a shark feeding frenzie - they will fight over the eggs.

9. flockmarket

Aug 11, 2011
    well i have a nice little nesting box i made the,. its elevated off the ground and really nice but i havn't seen the go in yet.. hmm. maybe they just need a really dark spot.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by