dlhunicorn...HELP!!! (ur messages are full, BTW)

I checked Amprol and found it, it's amprolium specifically for poultry. The question is can I use the amprolium for cattle for poultry??? (That would explain why it says 1 teaspoon per gallon instead of the 2 tb you're using, but I want to make sure) God, I'm so frustrated!!! Why can't this be simple???

There's a picture of a chicken and a cow on my gallon bottle of amprol....when I wrote swine I was thinking of my bottle of ivomec...sorry.

I can understand you wanting to double check your vets instructions as to dosage (I double check everything myself) but have I missed you giving the exact product and description? (strengths and thus dosage can vary)
Here is info I have on one product>>>is this what you have?

http://ph.merial.com/poultry/product_amprol_12.asp
Product Information
AMPROL
00ae.png
12% Solution
(VRI-02-1644)

A drinkable solution containing 12% amprolium hydrochloride for the prevention and treatment of coccidiosis in poultry caused by Eimeria spp.

BENEFITS

Fast acting against major types of intestinal and caecal coccidiosis.

Reduces the sporulation of some oocysts and thus, their ability to infect other chickens.

Allows the development of an anticoccidial immunity.

No cross-resistance with other anticoccidial drugs due to its unique mode of action.

Well tolerated by chickens and has no negative effect on weight gain, egg production or hatchability.

No adverse reaction with other drugs commonly used in feed.

DOSAGE & ADMINISTRATION

Depending on severity, mix 1-2ml AMPROL
00ae.png
12% Solution per liter of drinking water for 5-7 days consecutively.

(please note the above product is a 12% solution)>if you can provide the manufacturer and product details then it will be possible to google the info.
if it were me I would simply follow your vets instruction as to dosage (altho I would halve it if you do not have a sufficient number of birds that will drink five gallons in one day)
Some general info re amprollium:
http://www.merckvetmanual.com/mvm/index.jsp?cfile=htm/bc/200800.htm&word=coccidiosis%2cmedication
(from
the text on drugs and their use in treating coccidiosis):

Not all modes of action are well understood. Some of the better-defined and more common agents are described briefly below.

Amprolium is structurally similar to thiamine (vitamin B1) and is a competitive antagonist. Because rapidly dividing coccidia have a relatively high requirement for thiamine, amprolium has a safety margin of ~8:1 when used at the highest recommended level in feed. Maximal effect occurs about day 3 of the life cycle of coccidia. Because amprolium has poor activity against some Eimeria spp , its spectrum has been extended by using it in mixtures, usually with the folic acid antagonists, particularly ethopabate and sulfaquinoxaline. "

http://www.sheepandgoat.com/articles/coccidtable205.pdf
(A review of Drugs Used to Treat or Control Coccidiosis in Livestock and Poultry)

Last edited:
I really need some help on this, DL!!! Do u know anything about the differences between the amprolium for poultry and the amprolium for cattle??? Is it the same stuff, just more concentrated??? More importantly, am I gonna end up killing my chickens???

Corrid 9.6% is the same drug and strength no matter for what species is stated on the label... only the dosage per species (goat/cattle/chicken) will change ...members such as HincJ are very experienced and knowledgeable however I am posting here below the dosage (poultry) per the CHICKEN CHRONICLES group page on medications which to my knowledge is very accurate:
http://groups.msn.com/CHICKENCHRONICLES/yourwebpage6.msnw
AMPROLIUM (CORID , AMPROL)

The drug of choice by many against coccidiosis, it is highly effective and can be mixed with other drugs. Dosage delivery will depend upon the percentage of strength. 1 teaspoon/gallon (20% powder) for 3 - 5 days.

1 tablespoon(9% solution) to 1 Gallon of water for 3-5 days.

Amprolium 17% 1 gr/liter of drinking water 3-5 (American soy Bean federation)

So bottom line: Up to 1 tablespoon per gallon won't kill my whole flock of 56 chickens??? That's what I'm worried about, I don't want to kill them!!! Also, does the dosage per gal differ depending on age??? Someone else mentioned the fact that since smaller chicks drink less they kinda control the amount they take in all by themselves. Is this true??? I know it makes sense, but I'm so scared giving them this stuff....I just really don't want to kill them!!! Thanks a billion, I'm so freaked out!!!

Another question:
What vitamins should I give after treating them??? I asked the feed store about vitamins, and they were clueless....

Last edited:
I would not worry too much about the age... you saw that there is a safety margin of 8:1... if your vet prescribed more then perhaps that was to cover the older birds (more weight) and then with that safety margin I would not worry about the younger ones (This is just my opinion and not based on any veterinary article.) Also you must remember that cocci occurs usually with younger birds and chickies and rarely with adult birds. Thing is with water medication is the very real risk of the birds drinking too little as sick birds will often drink less than a healthier one.

Last edited:
Ratios aren't exactly my strong point, lol, another example of me being a blonde....I really appreciate the help, I don't know what I'd do without the ppl on this forum. No one should be allowed to own chickens without first being a member here!! Thanks so much!!! I'm going to give this stuff to them first thing in the morning!!!

Back
Top Bottom