dlhunicorn...HELP!!! (ur messages are full, BTW)

cjeanean

Can't Decide
11 Years
Mar 5, 2008
Missouri
I finally got the stuff I need to treat cocci, but the only thread on here gives the dosage per metric water measurements. The vet gave me these huge syringes and said to use 1/2 syringe per 5 gal of water. The question I have is this: does it matter what age the chickens are??? (Vet's closed, can't call) I have 20 wk, 14 wk, 11wk and 7 wk in the same coop. I'm worried that the dosage might be too much for the chicks, and like an idiot I forgot to ask. The vet said it's very easy to OD on aprolium. Does anyone know??? If so, pls give me the medicine measurement in either ml or ounces per american water measure. Thanks!!!

Last edited:
I know it is 1 tsp per gallon for 5-7 days. Change water out daily.

Sorry, I can't advise about the age...I am not sure if there is a different measurement for youngsters. I thought it was based on consumption and they should naturally consume less due to smaller size, similar to other meds. But you will want to verify that first.

Jody

This is what the product description on amazon.com said.

Product Description
Corid is used to treat coccidiosis in cattle and poultry. It is not labeled or approved for use in dogs but is widely used as a coccidiostat for dogs. Dosage: 1 ml per 5 pounds body weight daily for 5 days or 2 tablespoons per gallon of drinking water.

Is the 1 tbl per gal from your own experience??? That makes sense, that they'll drink less cause they're smaller.

6 ml/cc per quart= 24 ml/cc per gallon for 7 days

then 1.5 ml/cc per quart= 6 ml/cc per gallon for 2 wks and this is for any age.

I've used this on young chicks.

cjeanean - the 1 teaspoon per gallon is what it labeled on my bottle. I don't know what to tell you now.

Jody

Quote:
What product do u have??? This vet said to use 2 tbl per 5 gal....which is 6ml per gallon = one tsp per gal. Hubby just told me that the vet was talking about how this stuff is for cattle and to make sure that I heed the dosage, cause it can harm them. Now I'm wondering if this is the right stuff or if there's a specific product for chickens. You've used it in chicks before??? 1 tsp per gallon, and it's been fine???? I'm so frustrated!!!

Last edited:
can anyone else help??? I don't want to kill my chickens!!! I would go ahead and just do what the vet said, but this vet isn't very experienced with chickens....thanks!!!

I have a gallon bottle of *Amprol* 9.6%.

I've never heard of ODing on amprolium but if you're vet said you can then......maybe so.

I know I've been using it at the dosage that I gave you and haven't lost one yet. The dosage that I gave is for chickens not cattle or swine and amprolium is a thiamine blocker as the cocci thrive on thiamine...it is not a drug. Hope that helps.

Quote:
So u've been putting 2 tablespoons per gallon in your chicks' water??? And it's the same stuff, 9.6%??? I just don't know what to do!!! part of me says go ahead and dose and the other part says if you screw up you lose a thousand dollars of poultry and the other part says if there isn't a problem and you only lost the 4 sick ones because you didn't dose you could have avoided losing them!!!
barnie.gif
he.gif
Can u give me the exact product name so I can google it???

Back
Top Bottom