Do 12 week old pulets sleep a lot?

diamondie

Songster
6 Years
Apr 25, 2017
This is my first time owning chickens this young. My previous girls have all been six months and older. I just purchased these approximately 12 week old Rhode Island Reds I have four of them and they are just staying in the coop and mainly resting. They do get up to eat and drink and then they huddle in one corner together. I have the coop open to the run but they don't even come out except every once in a while. When I threw in a cherry they all ran after it very energeticly, so I don't believe there is anything wrong with them to me they are acting like young babies still needing a lot of rest but I really don't know if that is supposed to be the case for checks their size. Is this a normal behavior?

12 week olds should be pretty active, however from the description it sounds like they're more scared due to being in a new home, than lethargic. Are they eating and drinking well? Do you have older birds in the same set up?

12 week olds should be pretty active, however from the description it sounds like they're more scared due to being in a new home, than lethargic. Are they eating and drinking well? Do you have older birds in the same set up?
Yes, eating and drinking just fine. They may just be getting used to their new home. No older chickens.

Back
Top Bottom