Do 5 week olds need anything other than starter?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by 7cutechix, Jun 16, 2009.

1. 7cutechix

7cutechix In the Brooder

Jun 9, 2009
    East Central Indiana
    I'm getting very confused the more I read, especially the "illness" section???!!! I have 5 week old chicks in a tractor that I move every day, I put them in their coop section and open the door in the morning, out they go to the caged area. They are on starter and I give them also yogurt with starter every other day (they LOVE it). Do they need anything else to digest grass or bugs they eat out there??? Some have puffy chests, I thought it's just them growing....then I see "impacted crop" posts.... to me they just look like chicken breasts....am I missing something important??

2. jenjscott

jenjscott Mosquito Beach Poultry

May 24, 2008
    Southeast Arkansas
    They should get enough grit from the ground where they catch the bugs and pick the grass. If they appear healthy and happy, you're probably OK. If you are still worried you could put a little grit in there for them. Problems usually come when they are fed those "treats without being exposed to ground where they can get the grit.

3. Chicks_N_Horses

Chicks_N_Horses Songster

Mar 30, 2009
    South Alabama
    I give mine yogurt, cornbread crumbles, tomatoes, bugs bugs bugs....How these little chicks LOVE some bugs! LOL

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: