Do affordable wood sheds exist?

All chickens need in a coop is space, a roost to sleep, a place to lay eggs, ventilation and maybe food and water if you keep those in the coop. Everything else we design to make life easier for us, not the chickens. If there were absolutely no predators and no below freezing temps, all they would "need" would be a roof to keep off snow and rain. Even that is questionable though as I lived on Guam for 4 years and the chickens lived in the jungle just fine, even with tropical storms and typhoons.

Unfortunately I live where temps get very low and lots of ice and snow (and sometimes very high too) and I have 3 dogs in addition to living where we get coyotes, foxes, snakes, and all kinds of other things that will want to eat my chickens. Just today we had a tornado and torrential downpour. All in the same that that it was 80 degrees and sunny.

My shed came with the house :D

What sheds, and coops, are you comparing?

Unfortunately, buying a new house to get a shed is probably going to cost me more than just buying a shed. 😂

I've looked at all the usual places like Menards, Home Depot and Lowes as well as just googling for sheds and searching any sites that come up. Nothing good on craigslist or FB marketplace near me either. It seems like even a basic wood shed is running anywhere from $1K-$2K and that's without any foundation or modification costs added in. I can find coops for the same price or less. There isn't any one brand I am comparing. I have just been searching any site I can find for the last few weeks since the first one I bought fell through.

Unfortunately, buying a new house to get a shed is probably going to cost me more than just buying a shed. 😂

I've looked at all the usual places like Menards, Home Depot and Lowes as well as just googling for sheds and searching any sites that come up. Nothing good on craigslist or FB marketplace near me either. It seems like even a basic wood shed is running anywhere from $1K-$2K and that's without any foundation or modification costs added in. I can find coops for the same price or less. There isn't any one brand I am comparing. I have just been searching any site I can find for the last few weeks since the first one I bought fell through.
Keeping chickens can be cheep.....housing them is not.

Back
Top Bottom