Do Air Cells Move?

steffpeck

Songster
12 Years
Mar 25, 2007
Erda, UT
I have had my eggs resting for 24 hours and I am candling them to check air-cells before I set them in the morning. I just looked at the first one and I can see the little air-cell, but when I rotate the egg it moves along the side of the egg. Does this mean it is bad?

hmm....i would normally say yes...but for some reason i seem to remember this happening to me....put it in the bator and check it in a couple of days .....

Happens sometimes with shipped eggs. One reason it's good to let them rest. Are you putting them in a turner? I'd probably do that or leave them in a carton and incubate in the carton to keep the air cell in the right spot until hatching.

I have a couple like that where the membrane has pulled away from the side of the egg due to rough handling while being shipped and they are developing right along with the other ones I got.
The membrane has pulled away but I do not see any fluid in the membrane area so I'm assuming it is not ruptured.
I do not know what the outcome will be for these guys.
I'd suggest going ahead with yours to see what happens.
Good luck!
Carolyn

I have the same thing going on with some shipped duck eggs. I went ahead and put them in the bator and will let them go for 10 days before I toss any. Just pop them in the bator isn't gonna hurt to let them go for 10 days.

My concern isn't incubating. It's hatching. They'll grow fine with a weird air cell provided there's no other damage but if you just set them on their side and let the air cell move around then what happens when they go to hatch? It seems a high chance they won't pip the right spot. That's why I'd make sure to set them in a turner or carton that keeps the large end of the egg up and the air cell positioned.

I have 7 movable air cells
I have 1 movable with a few little bubbles around it.<guessing thats bad>
I have 1 movable air cell thats oddly shaped <agian I assume bad>
I have 3 air cells that are oddly shaped but in one pieace and where there sapose to be
I have 2 that look pretty good but its hard to see
I have 6 that I cant see an air cell in at all <4 of those because of the color of the egg I cant see inside it with the light I have>

The shipping box the eggs came in was well marked fragil and looked undamaged.
hu.gif

The eggs were well wraped in bubble wrap and surrounded by padding/filling and some more bubble wrap , this is the first eggs I have gotten in the mail and it looked like a real nice pack job to me. They were only in the mail 3 days.
What are my chances if I use a carton to keep them upright in the bator that they will hatch?
hide.gif

Thank you sizz the eggs are beutifull there are so many cute little eggs and olive eggs .. are those banty ? they are soo pretty and soo cute. Thank you for sending 24 I was only expecting 18
big_smile.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom