1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Do all brown eggs look the same?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by AliNaz, Nov 21, 2013.

1. AliNaz

AliNaz Out Of The Brooder

May 24, 2013
    Central Florida
    Two of my girls started laying 1.5 week ago. One is an EE and one is a red star. Their eggs are very easy to tell apart due to the difference in color. I also have another red star, 1 Dominique, and 1 SLW. I know these will all lay brown eggs, but I wonder if I would be able to tell their eggs apart. Today I found a larger and lighter brown egg compared to the usual brown egg that I find. Other than stalking or adding a camera, is there a way to tell who laid it? I apologize if this is a dumb question.

2. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Not a dumb question.

I can learn to associate up to a dozen eggs to the corresponding layer. One trick is to notice when a particular bird leaves the nest and note the egg she leaves behind. There are multiple shades of brown, differing shapes and even the texture of the shell differ. Through familiarity, trial and error and experience, yes, you'll be able to pretty much learn who lays what. If you don't nail it 100%, it's OK.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2013
  3. AliNaz

May 24, 2013
    Central Florida
    Thank you for answering Fred's Hens! I can't wait to figure out who laid the large light brown egg I found today. I still feel EGGcited every time I collect them. I'm loving this experience!!!

I have a feeling it's my second red star Brownie that laid it. I just expected both red stars to lay similar looking eggs.

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    That is the best thing about having different breeds--your eggs look like easter eggs in a basket. Even two of the same breed will have differences in the shades of brown. Some will have speckles which are pretty. Dark cocoa brown to pink or light beige is the range, then throw in a couple of blue or green and white and it is a beautiful egg collection.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2013
  5. AliNaz

May 24, 2013
    Central Florida
    I'm loving the idea of each girl laying a personalized egg! This gets more awesome every day. I can't wait to see the looks of the eggs of my other four girls!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by