1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Do all chickens get combs?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Jenny1, Oct 5, 2012.

1. Jenny1

Jenny1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 22, 2008
    Mine doesnt have a very big one... does that mean I am wrong in guessing her age?The guy who sold her to us said 20 weeks, that was over a month ago... she still isnt laying. Starting to wonder.
    [​IMG]

2. Cool Peeps

Cool Peeps Out Of The Brooder

Sep 25, 2012
    All chickens do get combs execpt i can't tell the sex

3. Jenny1

Sep 22, 2008
    She is supposed to be a girl. I am pretty darn sure she is a girl. Just wondering if she is a month or two younger than I was told. If she is, then I feel bad that I keep telling her she better lay or she's gonna be soup! I think she knows I am kidding, but still! And a little mad that the guy said they were 20 weeks old.

4. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

Yes, all chickens get combs, they just vary according to breed. The barred rock in your picture is a hen. She may begin laying this fall or she may not lay until spring.

5. Flfirecracker

Flfirecracker Out Of The Brooder

Aug 18, 2012
    Central Florida
    Come on now, no one would ever lie to us about the age or sex of a bird. when I got mine they was all pullets and right at 20 weeks. That was 5 weeks ago, still no eggs.

6. Jenny1

Sep 22, 2008
    Hope it is this fall! We live in phoenix so it is still plenty warm (101 yesterday) and I have been supplementing light the last week. Not too worried about them staying warm enough so I figure they might as well lay all winter! :)

7. galanie

galanie Treat Dispenser No More

Aug 20, 2010
    Colmesneil,TX
    She is likely at least close to the age they said. All hens start laying whenever they get darn good and ready. Since her comb is pale it's doubtful she'll start laying in the next few weeks. Sometimes being rehomed might delay it a bit. And this time of year, when days are shorter, even a good layer slows down. So therefore it really could be next spring. But probably not.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by