1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Do all chickens lay an egg daily?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by dstone317, Sep 1, 2013.

1. dstone317

dstone317 New Egg

Jun 23, 2013
    This may be a silly question. I have 4 golden comet hens. I average 3-4 eggs a day. It is consistently one day 3 eggs, the next 4, in this same order. They are 23 weeks old and have been laying for at least 5 weeks now. Should I be concerned, or is this normal? Thanks in advance.

2. bugglesmommy

bugglesmommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Some chickens lay better then others. Some lay every day, some only every few days. Things like age, diet, and weather will also affect how they lay.

3. Bullitt

Bullitt Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2012
    Texas

Most chicken breeds do not lay an egg a day for a year.

The world record was set by a White Leghorn that laid 371 eggs in 364 days. However, the average is more like 150 to 200 eggs a year for domesticated chickens.

Your Golden Comets are a hybrid that have been bred to lay well, They will lay about 300 eggs in their first year. Production declines each year as a hen ages.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2013
  4. dstone317

dstone317 New Egg

Jun 23, 2013
    Thanks! I feel better. While "googling" the breed before we got them I had read about them getting egg bound or something, and wanted to make sure they were okay. :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by