1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Do all coop's have to be pretty?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Bluedog420, Jun 7, 2008.

1. Bluedog420

Bluedog420 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2008
    Cartersville, Ky
    this is a pic of my brooder house and guinea condo. Built like a rock...lol Varmit and snake proof is all that matter's to me. Pretty don't protect nothing...PS: i am gonna put on vinyl siding as soon as [​IMG]i have time...lol PEACE

2. Portia

Portia Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 29, 2008
    South Central PA
    Ha! NO way...its really about function! Pretty is nice, but eyecandy is not always the best solution to keeping your birds happy, healthy and safe.

3. Buster

Buster Back to Work

I need you to come to my house and help me build one. Just like that would be fine!

I have one already but really need another one, or two, or three...

Last edited: Jun 7, 2008
  4. kevin2010

kevin2010 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2008
    tucker wv
    no mine is actually covered in black plastic they use at land fills to help keep rain out and since my saw broke at last minute my door is about 2 feet taller then the coop

5. Chirpy

Chirpy Balderdash

May 24, 2007
    Colorado
    I'll take predator proof and functional any day over pretty!

I will say that especially for those who live in town, having a nicer looking coop would be an advantage so the neighbors are happy about what they are seeing.

6. suenrob

suenrob Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 22, 2008
    Ft. Myers, FL
    Looks great to me!!!! I can picture it with the siding, gonna be beautiful

7. dacjohns

dacjohns People Cracker Upper

BlueDog,

It's great. Us folks living in the country have a different style backyard is all.

8. Bluedog420

Bluedog420 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2008
    Cartersville, Ky
    y'all are so nice...thank's for the replie's..[​IMG]

9. tricia

tricia Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2007
    West Central Wisconsin
    As long as they are safeand comfortable, who cares? I agree with suenrob too - it is a nice coop, and with siding it will be very nice looking. [​IMG] And I love the doors - did you make them? They look great!

10. luvmychicknkids

luvmychicknkids Canning Squirrel

Mar 6, 2008
    Floresville, Texas
    First things first.....I made sure my chickies were safe. That is all that counts. However, as much as I try to avoid a "girly" image I am addicted to cutesy so I do things like make pretty curtains for my chickies and paint little "coop sweet coop signs". Yours is cool and as I looked at it my chickie decorator self kicked in and I had it mentally cutesy in a matter of seconds. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by