Do all coturnix -not button- lay equally well?

firefly7

Chirping
11 Years
Apr 7, 2011
South Central TN
I am trying to decide what kind of birds to get for eggs after losing several bids for the type I like, am considering a mixed batch. Is there a difference in egg production between the jumbo/a&m/assorted normal size coturnix birds? Incubator and pickle jars awaiting the answer.
caf.gif

Just to make sure. No difference in laying between the various colors and sizes of coturnix excluding buttons? I'm not considering other species.

Quote:
ALL COTURNIX LAY THE SAME, ALL COTURNIX TASTE THE SAME

BUTTONS ARE NOT COTURNIX

Coturnix is simple a taxonomic classification, this means that if taxonomists decide that humans should go on to the coturnix genus, humans will be coturnix, and since the last time I check it Asian Blue Quail (with many mutations are known in US as button quail, in Europe their common name is Chinese quail) binomial name was Coturnix chinensis.

Although, if you are referring to Button quails (with capital B), you are absolutely right and my post was unnecessary.

Last edited:
PortugalBreeder,
There is confusion and disagreement on the classification of the Chinese Painted Quail / Button Quail.

Some resources list them as Coturnix chinesis. Others list them as Excalfactria Chinensis. I've yet to see hard scientific data / evidence that indicates where these birds truly belong. I will admit that I haven't gone searching too hard since it doesn't matter that much to me which is correct.

Quote:
Not to mention that on this board, coturnix almost always refers to the Japanese coturnix (coturnix coturnix or coturnix coturnix japonica) and button quail refers to the Chinese Blue Breasted quail.
smile.png

Thank you all kindly, (Especially Flock Master and Shelley-exact answer I needed) now my flock will be much more assorted than I'd planned. All good.
tongue.png

Back
Top Bottom