Do all EE's have green legs?

paddock36

Crowing
15 Years
Dec 24, 2008
Ocala, Florida
I have some chicks that I purchased from someone local that were supposed to be Auracaunas (spelling?) which I have figured out are just EE's, I think. The two that I bought have the puffy cheaks but only one has green legs and the other one has yellow legs (and it was my favorite). Also another that was supposed to be a different breed and does not have puffy cheaks has green legs. Does that mean she is also an EE?
hu.gif
I can post pictures if needed. I bought them for the future green or blue eggs. But I all of a sudden I have too many chickens so I have to get rid of a few and didn't want to get rid of my favorite. I know someone will have the answer to this.

That's great because the one without the green legs is my favorite. This may sound stupid but is the leg color any indication of the egg color to be.? I really, really, really want the blue or green eggs.
fl.gif

As far as I can gather EEs are basically cross breeds that had arauanas in their ancestry. As such they can have any colour of legs or anything else.

If your main criteria is blue or green eggs, the best approximation fo whether they will lay a blue or green egg is whether they have pea comb. The pea combed EEs will lay blue or green eggs.

If your criteria is being of a pure breed ...with 'puffy cheeks' that could be beard & muff? Could they be Araucanas? There are loads of enthusiastic Ameraucana breeders here, they'll be able to tell you whether your favourite is a usual colour?

And if you like her why not keep her anyway
big_smile.png

They are too small right now and don't have much of a comb. They do have most of their feathers though. One of the chicks that I purchased was supposed to be a Light Brauma. Which ended up being one with the green legs and no feathers on the feet. Wrong coloring too and another that was supposed to be a Black Australoup looks more like a Barred Rock mix. So that is what really got me wondering if any of the chicks are what they are supposed to be. Did I mention I really, really, really want the blue or green eggs.

EE's are essentially bearded and muffed (or not) mutts that can be any color, have any color beaks, legs, and not even always have a pea comb. They also can lay eggs anywhere from pink (pale brown) to dark khaki.

Leg color does not determine egg color.

Pea combs are linked to blue/green eggs. I think there was a post not too long ago detailing how the genes are very close to each other.

Back
Top Bottom