1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Do all EE's have puffy cheeks?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by kimmypie, Mar 12, 2012.

1. kimmypie

kimmypie Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2010
    Utah
    I bought two EEs at a local feed store, I watched the guy get both of them out of the brooder full of EEs. One has puffy cheeks and one does not. They both have the chipmunk type stripes, gray/green legs, etc. it's just the cheeks that have me concerned. I have pics but I'm. It sure how to share them on here.

2. BlueCamas

BlueCamas Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2011
    Milwaukie, Oregon
    They might they might not, it's just a pretty common trait with EE's

3. dragonmorgan

dragonmorgan Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2012
    South Alabama
    I upload them to a profile page album and then drag the picture into the reply box. I bought 3 from our feed store last week and one of mine has a very puffy head and featherd legs while the other 2 are normal lookin with naked legs lol.

4. AinaWGSD

AinaWGSD Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    Sullivan, IL
    No. Many EE do have the puffy cheeks, but not all do. In my first order of chicks I got 5 EE. Four of them had the puffy cheeks, and the fifth it took me about an hour to decide wasn't one of the 2 speckled sussex chicks I ordered because she did not have puffy cheeks at all. She did have the green legs though, and that's how I finally figured it out. Since 9 chicks (the hatchery sent an extra) was more chickens than my little coop can really hold, we sold 2 of the extra EE chicks and kept 3. Of the 3 I kept, my clean-faced EE turned out to be the best. She lays beautiful, large green eggs about 5 days a week and is my best layer.

[​IMG]

5. Blarneyeggs

Blarneyeggs Overrun With Chickens

Oct 22, 2011
    Southeast PA
    my, what a beauty!

6. Pele

Pele Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    Boise
    As EEs arn't a breed, there's no standard to hold them to really. Most people consider the 'ideal' EE to have a muff, green/slate legs, lays blue/green eggs, and have a pea comb.

However, you can mix, match, edit, switch, and leave out whatever you want in that list, and still call a bird having one or two of the traits 'EE'.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by