1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Do all hens lay?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by eltonbrand, Dec 28, 2009.

1. eltonbrand

eltonbrand New Egg

Dec 28, 2009
    Hello, I have 4 hens that I bought when they were a week old. 2 RIR, 1 black australorp, and 1 araucana. They hatched on May 5th 2009. In October the RIR's started laying. I'm still waiting for the other 2 to start. Is this normal? The black australorp is on borrowed time if she keeps making so much noise [​IMG] . All 4 have equal sized combs and waddles. Any insight would be appreciated.

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    I have a couple I hatched out on the 25th of April that have yet to lay.

If they don't lay soon, they'll get their pink slips.

3. Cindiloohoo

Cindiloohoo Quiet as a Church Mouse

Dec 19, 2009
    Southwest TN
    Some take more time than others, but that is a pretty good age to have started laying. And yes all hens lay IF they are of age to healthy and have proper nutrition, those are the keys.

4. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

All 4 have equal sized combs and waddles.

IS it possible that the other two are hiding eggs?

Maybe they are mature-enough but not getting the right nutrients? Sometimes it takes extra protein or something. What do you feed them?​

5. gsim

gsim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2009
    East Tennessee
    Do they free-range? If so, suspect egg-hiding. If not, try to boost protein with something like Calf-manna. Could be that if it was warm weather, they would have already started. Another thing that could help is to carry warm water to them daily during this cold weather.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2009
  6. newchicksnducks

newchicksnducks Chillin' With My Peeps

I don't know where you are from, but if the weather is significantly colder and the days shorter, you may be out of luck until spring.Your hens may have just been reaching their maturity when the cold and shorter days put them into a delay mode:p You can try adding light to your coop to mimic longer days. Put it on a timer to add artificial daylight stretching their day to 12-14 hours long. Good luck!

7. davidb

davidb Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2008
    north east Georgia
    Ya probably the weather

8. technodoll

technodoll Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2009
    Quebec, Canada
    Hah. One of my black sexlinks is 9.5 months old and NOT laying, not even squatting!

She's driving me mad!

Eat, poop, eat, eat, poop, eat, poop some more... FREELOADER!

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by