1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Do all hens molt at the same time?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ging3rhoffman, Apr 17, 2009.

1. ging3rhoffman

ging3rhoffman Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2009
    Do all hen molt at the same time? Do they lay eggs at all during molt? How long do they molt? Lots of questions, i know. Just didnt know if I need 2 different age groups of hens to off set each other. I only have 12 hens, just wondered if they would all molt at the same time.

2. dasher

dasher Out Of The Brooder

I have the a similar problem. How long do hens molt, mine seem to be taking a long time. I think it has been several weeks. Feathers everywhere!!

Last edited: Apr 17, 2009
  3. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    They don't all necessarily moult at the same time. Some of mine went thru a mini-moult starting at seven months, then others at eight months and a couple that waited until nine months. A few that didn't moult at all.
    I upped their protein and they were over it pretty quickly, a week to 10 days. However, it was a mild moult. My egg production went down some, but didn't stop completely.
    With the full moult you can expect it to take longer and for production to come to a halt.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by