Do all roosters have red combs or w/e? Oh and pics!!!

Barbeque

Songster
9 Years
May 4, 2010
Danville
Sorry if this is a silly question, but I was wondering if the chicks with darker brown or black little bumpy things above their beaks (assuming it's the comb or w/e you call it coming in)are most likely girls.
When can I tell the difference? They are 3 and 1/2 weeks old. I have 2 golden sebrights, silver laced polish, 2 BRs(can BRs have feathered feet?), wyandotte (chipmunk looking chick) and a frizzle.

Last edited:
3 1/2 weeks is a little early to tell roosters. Some birds start out with darker colored combs, but they all turn red eventually, except for Silkies. BR's shouldn't have feathered feet unless they are crossed with something that does. And, are you sure that your chipmunk looking one is a Wyandotte? I have Silver laced and Gold laced Wyandotte's and mine don't look like chipmunks.

Quote:
I see.
And no, I'm just going by what others say!
hmm.png

I'm going to take pictures and ask the couple I bought the chicks from when I pick up my coop they are now building for me. Should be this week.
They also said their chicks are pure.
Sooo...what could the chick in my avatar be? It has feathered feet!

I'm not sure from the pic, it is too small to tell. Post some pics on here and I will try to help you out. Yours might be a cochin or a brahma or a mix.

Yup, not a Barred Rock. Looks like a black cochin to me. That one should be a very good mommy, if it is a she!

Unless... I can't tell from the pic, but does it have 4 toes or 5 toes?

I'll count next time, but I think its only 4? I could be VERY wrong.
And I hope its a girl. I have another one like it, except the wing feathers look more....ruffled up? Not as furry and inviting as BBQ, the one here, but more pointy and it kinda looks like when someone with black hair doesn't wash their hair and it gets oily. xD
I know, awful comparison, but I think it every time I see them both.

Back
Top Bottom