do all silkies have feathered feet?

LindsayB

Songster
11 Years
Apr 26, 2008
Cypress, Texas
I have been dying to get one or two silkies but I'm not very fond of the feather-footed chickens. It just seems like a poo magnet. Do they all have feathered feet?

Yes. That is an integral part of the Silkie must have.

I don't find them having any more problems with collecting stuff in their foot feathers then my non feather footed birds. If its wet and sticky no matter what breed steps in to it its going to stick.

my silkie does have feathered feet but she is definitely not show quality so you hardly even notice the feathers on her feet are their and mud and poo never gets stuck to them so i would think hatchery silkies are fine but maybe the fancy ones get dirty
big_smile.png

I might have to look into getting some from a hatchery then. I don't plan on going to any shows any time, I would just like some for pets/eggs. Thanks!

A silkie SHOULD have feathered feet, it's part of the breed description. If you do get hatchery stock or birds elsewhere that exhibit very little foot feathering and plan to sell the eggs/chicks, please be honest and let potential buyers know that the breeding is stock is highly lacking in this characteristic aka requirement.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom