do all welsummers lay speckled eggs?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by chkinut, Feb 28, 2011.

1. chkinut

chkinut Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2010
    Leesburg, Ohio
    i'm getting a couple Welsummers from Meyer hatchery this week. i'm wondering if i can expect them to lay speckled eggs? especially since they're hatchery stock? or will they most likely just lay a bit of a darker egg than say a RIR? does anyone here have experience with Welsummers from Meyer?

2. dirtsaver

dirtsaver Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2010
    Northern Kentucky
    Our Welsummers didn't come from Meyer but I got them from a guy who works for Southern States so I'm pretty sure they are hatchery stock. The one Welsummer that's started laying lays a very nice speckled egg.

Larry

3. chkinut

Feb 25, 2010
    Leesburg, Ohio
    thanks for the info!! anyone else?

4. hoppy

hoppy I'm not all fluff

May 5, 2007
    central maine
    I had welsummers from 2 different hatcherys (neither is meyers) and some had speckled, some did not. I also have wyandottes that some days they lay speckled, but others from the same hen they are not.

5. Minniechickmama

Minniechickmama Senora Pollo Loco

Sep 4, 2009
    Minnesota
    I don't think you can count on your girls to lay speckled or not speckled. Basically, whatever your hen lays is what she continues to lay. If you get a speckled layer, she will always lay that kind of egg. I have both and they came from the same stock, one lays a nice dark, dense shell with no speckles and the other lays a freckly kind of egg. It is hit and miss. What you really want are DARK eggs. Getting from a hatchery, you are not going to get the best of the breed most likely.

6. chkinut

Feb 25, 2010
    Leesburg, Ohio
    Quote:true, i had placed my order a few months ago (before christmas)....then i wanted to hatch some eggs to keep me occupied before my girls arrived. well, i ordered Black Copper Marans hatching eggs....and i kept 2 pullets from that batch. so hopefully i'll get some dark eggs from them. i'll just be praying for speckled eggs from my welsummers! [​IMG]

7. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

I have 2 Wellies that I bought as chicks from a hatchery but through Craigslist. One lays a speckled egg, and one lays an egg that looks eggsactly like a Golden Sex Link egg.

8. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    You can count on a Welsummer to lay a speckled egg as much as you could any other dark egg layer. It's a hit and miss. I think the only guaranteed speckled layers are crosses bred for it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by