do all welsummers lay speckled eggs?

chkinut

Songster
9 Years
Feb 25, 2010
Leesburg, Ohio
i'm getting a couple Welsummers from Meyer hatchery this week. i'm wondering if i can expect them to lay speckled eggs? especially since they're hatchery stock? or will they most likely just lay a bit of a darker egg than say a RIR? does anyone here have experience with Welsummers from Meyer?

dirtsaver

Songster
9 Years
Mar 20, 2010
Northern Kentucky
Our Welsummers didn't come from Meyer but I got them from a guy who works for Southern States so I'm pretty sure they are hatchery stock. The one Welsummer that's started laying lays a very nice speckled egg.

Larry

hoppy

I'm not all fluff
12 Years
May 5, 2007
central maine
I had welsummers from 2 different hatcherys (neither is meyers) and some had speckled, some did not. I also have wyandottes that some days they lay speckled, but others from the same hen they are not.

Minniechickmama

Senora Pollo Loco
12 Years
Sep 4, 2009
Minnesota
I don't think you can count on your girls to lay speckled or not speckled. Basically, whatever your hen lays is what she continues to lay. If you get a speckled layer, she will always lay that kind of egg. I have both and they came from the same stock, one lays a nice dark, dense shell with no speckles and the other lays a freckly kind of egg. It is hit and miss. What you really want are DARK eggs. Getting from a hatchery, you are not going to get the best of the breed most likely.

chkinut

Songster
9 Years
Feb 25, 2010
Leesburg, Ohio
Quote:
true, i had placed my order a few months ago (before christmas)....then i wanted to hatch some eggs to keep me occupied before my girls arrived. well, i ordered Black Copper Marans hatching eggs....and i kept 2 pullets from that batch. so hopefully i'll get some dark eggs from them. i'll just be praying for speckled eggs from my welsummers!
smile.png

Illia

Crazy for Colors
10 Years
Oct 19, 2009
Forks, WA
You can count on a Welsummer to lay a speckled egg as much as you could any other dark egg layer. It's a hit and miss. I think the only guaranteed speckled layers are crosses bred for it.

Top Bottom