Do all your chickens have names?

Seems like we are all a lot a like. I waited until I figured out which were roos or not, I didn't want to name anything I was going to eat. With the hens I let them stand out as individuals or gain some distinction before naming. Some of my hens have had names since the day I opened the box, like Sally my buff Orp and Dolly one of my buff cochins.

I don't think I could keep up with the ones that look so much alike right now. Maybe later on more will get names and they distinguish themselves in some way.

Should I feel bad? I haven't named mine I have seven. I can tell them all apart but two. They are pets, never meat. I just call them my girls!
lol.png

with kids, the pets have to have names
wink.png

We have

Silver Wyand. - Onieda and Crystal Chicken
Gold Wyandottes - Blaze and Orion
Dominquies - Sparky and Donna
G. Campines - Mooky and Booky

They are all hens at this point (fingers crossed...). I can tell them all apart except for Mooky and Booky, but I have a feeling that as the gold Wyan grow they will be harder to tell apart because they look so much alike except for their size.

Susan

Well out of the flock we have only a few have names- none of my 5 americana's have names since they look to much alike, none of my 5 silver laced cochins have names,out of my 5 light brahma's only one is named and that is Cleo she has the most black on her my two black dutch bantams are Bonney & Clyde, and since I only have one Buff Or. she is called peaches.
All my ducks have names - my hubby named his all white pekin male Afflac , my black something or other is Ebony ,and my male mallard/crested mix is Frodo.

Last edited:
Yeah, I have 25 chickens and I've named them all, took a while, but I did. There were several that looked so much alike that I couldn't name them at first. But two of them were always together so they became LaVerne and Shirley. And a couple others became their colors or something about them, like the one that has always had a limp is "Gimpy". Stuff like that.

Until yesterday, I thought only my pet chicken (that sleeps in my bedroom) had a name. (coconut)

Found out yesterday that 1 of the other 10 has a name. Apparently my b-i-l named the barred rock hen Blue. The other one (RED) got eaten.

It was a different story growing up. We had to name them ALL back then. :)

The ones I can tell apart do.
lol.png

The young SLW are too common in appearances yet, as are my 4 EEs.

My BO roo is Brutus.
RIR hen - Bertha
RSL hens - Red, Molly, Esther, Peach
BSL hens - Amnesty (named by my 14 yo niece
roll.png
), Winnie, Wilhemena
BR hens- all four are named Sassy, because they are, and I can't tell them apart, lol.

The guineas are all Loudmouth, because, well, they are!!

Jess

Back
Top Bottom