do any breeds "cock-doodle-do" QUIETLY?

newjchick

In the Brooder
8 Years
Aug 8, 2011
Lots of people want to stay away from roosters in their backyard flocks. Personally, I'm not against having a rooster...only waking up to its infamous "cock-a-doodle-do" at dawn
smile.png
Are there any chicken breeds that crow...ehm...quietly???
smile.png

I had a Partridge Rock roo for about 4 years that crowed rarely and when he did it was quite sotto voce. Loved that roo!!! Big, beautiful, great flock master, gentle and smart.....and quiet.
smile.png

My neighbors barred rock crows maybe once a day at 7am. I can't hear him unless I'm outside a few feet from him. He's a very quiet rooster. My pullets are much louder then he is.

"Cock-a-Doodle-Do"at dawn?

Mine start at about 3:30 a.m and stop just before they go to the coop at night. My Brahmas probably crow less, but they are LOUD.

I currently have a Polish rooster that doesnt crow. He tried to a 5-6 times, sounded like a cat, and I guess has given up. That is great with me, since our last EE roo crowed starting about 4am and went all day! Maybe it depends on each chicken personality, and not just the breed.

My Orpington and Sal. Fav Roos crows kinda loud but nothing in comparison to the seabright and silkie Roos. Their loud and Sharp! Hurts my ears. LOL

I have a Porcelain d' Uccle and a Mille Fleur d'Uccle. Both crow when they are hungry, in the morning and in the evening. That's about it. The rest of the time they just 'bock bock bock'

Back
Top Bottom