1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Do any of the hatcheries....

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by yotetrapper, Jan 6, 2008.

1. yotetrapper

yotetrapper Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2007
    North Central MS
    sell bantam pullets? All the ones I've looked at only sell them in straight run. If one buys straight run banties, what do you do with all the roos? Eat em? I'm wanting to buy 6 gold lace cochin and 6 quail antwerp Belgian banties as well as a dozen standard sized layers but ideally wanted only 2 banty roos. Any ideas where I could buy what im looking for?

2. herechickchick

herechickchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2007
    Memphis TN
    I think my pet chicken sexes bantams but I am not sure. Most hatcheries do not sex bantams.

3. yotetrapper

yotetrapper Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2007
    North Central MS
    Thanks, I had never heard of them, but I just checked, and they dont have the breeds I wanted. So if none of them sex banties, what DO you all do with your extra roos?

4. Littlecimarron18

Littlecimarron18 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 3, 2008
    Colorado
    sell em

5. Catalina

Catalina Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2007
    Minnesota
    I bought 2 female banty chicks from mypetchicken.com and they both turned out to be girls, but some people havn't had as much luck. [​IMG] They received roosters when they asked for hens.

edited: Sorry typing when you posted [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 6, 2008
  6. Buster

Buster Back to Work

I did read on My Pet Chicken that they sex bantys, but that doesn't help if they don't have the ones you want. Speaking of My Pet Chicken, does anyone have info on quality of chicks, chickens or service from them?

7. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

I hear MPC has great customer service, but as with all hatcheries, have hatchery type stock.

8. Buster

Buster Back to Work

Quote:What does that mean?

9. Picco

Picco Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2007
    NY
    MPC is so rediculously priced, I wonder if you asked a hatchery to sex bantams for a fee if they would do it. Its worth asking. If not you could still buy several straight run bantams from a larger hatchery and end up with a few pullets, sell the roos and still come out with more money than if you went with MPC for a couple pullets.

I don't want to bash the place too much, it seems like a great option for smaller scale chicken enthusiast, its just not for me.

10. arwmommy

arwmommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2007
    California
    We LOVE MPC, but you have to realize that it caters to those of us that really want JUST A FEW CHICKENS, couldn't possibly even figure out how to cull an unwanted roo or have the stomach to do that, and view these chickens as pets. (I spent $1000 on a purebred dog, I certainly don't care about spending $10 a chick if it is the right sex and breed, so I can order only 4 or 5 instead of 25!)

If you are a chicken rancher, or have a huge flock, MPC really doesn't make sense for you, but for us urban backyard chicken keepers, it is the ONLY one that often works.

[​IMG]

(That all being said, I just ordered 25 straight run banties, as we have figured out the home situation for some of the boys and extra girls, and are resigned to having to have our vet humanely euthanize the other boys that we can't find homes for. I just want some breeds that MPC doesn't carry, but you can rest assured that if they did carry them, I would order ONLY from MPC)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by