Do any of you have multiple coops?

Quote:
Wow what a great set-up!!!! I'm envious!!
Thanks for the pics!!!

your welcome.. I started out very small 4 x 4 with a tiny run for a few chickens-every year another coop and run get built! your not that far from me Heather-you can do it in our area despite the nasty weather -as long as you have room:)

I have 2 coops with 3 on the drawing board. One is for the LF mixed laying flock one is for my silkies they have a run and the new one will be a grow out coop for meat birds

I have three seperate coops 8x16,8x24 and 8x12. Two of them have outdoor runs attached. The birds in coop 3 are free range in season. The birds are not out much in the mid of winter. It is -5 this morning and that is warm. It would more likely be in the -20 area this time of year. Have also had over 60 inches of snow so far. I am very much looking forward to spring!

I currently have two coops. In Spring I'll have three, maybe four if I take on a "recycled coop" project. I have about an acre in length and 1/4 of my yard is fenced off as my chicken yard... I decided I needed a limit!
lol.png
Now I have a 5x3 coop and a tractor, both have large runs, and in the Spring here's the plan-

Convert a large, nice shed from home depot for around 1,200 dollars. Add a very large run where I put the current 5x3 coop and it's run IN the shed's run, used for bantams. Hold tons of new chickens in the shed. Then use the tractor for sick and injured birds. Then I might make the recycled coop, but I'm thinking that I'll probably sell it. I'll also have a 4 small coops, with a run for each used for pens
to hold several breeds behind the shed. Now THIS should get me some more eggs!

Last edited:
I have four. This spring I am building another and a separate coop and run for my surplus Roos.

I have a 18 x20 open-sided Hog farrowing building converted into 2 separate chicken areas. Each has a 9x9 nesting room. I use one side for the existing layer flock, and the other side for starting new chicks. Once they get fully feathered and acquainted with the birds on the other side of the house..they all go together.
I also have an a-frame converted hog-feed building for raising meatbirds It is 8x8.
All my birds get to range free during the day. None of my buildings are heated or insulated. I do have heat lamps for new babies.

I currently have 55 chickens; Red sex links, copper marans, buff oppringtons and cornish mixes. I also have a pair of Rouen ducks in there too. In the spring, I will cull out the older non-layers into the freezer or dog dish(cooked first). (Depends on size and age where they go)

Hubby just ordered me up a Brown-Egg-Layer variety special from McMurphy's for Christmas. I am SO excited to get my new babies. They are supposed to arrive the week of Jan 31st. I am getting 95 layers for me, 5 layers & a Roo for my mom, and they give me a mystery rare chick for free!!! CAN'T WAIT!!!! I hope I get one of those naked necked Turkens...they are just so ugly to be cute!

Quote:
bow.gif
You have a crested duck and I like your silver laced brahmas
love.gif

LOL thank you! that duck would be My1 1/2 yr old Chuckie duck my baby!!!
love.gif

Back
Top Bottom