Do any of you hold back?

I was just asking because I thought maybe I was the only one.

Thought I might have been being cruel or something.

No 29, you are not cruel. There are many opinions out there. I am of the school of thought that if I can do something affordably and there is hope I will certainly make the effort.

BUT.... if it an issue like internal laying, or a horrendous wound that will take forever to heal, I will put the animal down. (Or have it done, my vet does it for me as a professional courtesy)

ETA: Back to the original question, yes, I frequently bite my tongue and move on.

Last edited:
Quote:
And all God's people shout, "AMEN!"
clap.gif
Couldn't have said it better myself!
thumbsup.gif

OP, you are not alone. Even reading the title of the threads will cause me to cringe away....one recent one was in regards to a bird with a terrible loss of limb.
sickbyc.gif
I didn't even have to read it but as I watched the thread pages growing, I knew what was transpiring.

I guess I view compassion in an entirely different light than others. Though its still a $3 chicken to me, I would still not have any one of my flock suffer in that manner just so I can play hero to a crowd. I know these efforts are applauded and praised for being humane and compassionate but I see them merely as self-serving. Who was the one in real pain? The bird. Who was the one in emotional pain over observing his plight? The human. Who needed blessed relief and had no understanding about why he was forced to undergo "compassionate administration" to his wounds? The bird. Who finally died after days of suffering through an ordeal that only helped the human feel better about expending the effort? The bird.

Sorry if that offends folks...really not meant to be a insult. Just a plea for common sense and true compassion which usually takes putting your own feelings aside and doing the right thing~no matter how painful and distressful it may be to YOU.

Ok, but to those of us new to chickens, is there a set of criteria that wou would look at to determine if culling is necessary? What if the owners are unsure? I know with my dogs, as my girl starts to get older, we have actually had the discussion, and set a three point "checklist". We have identified her three favorite activities, and when she can no longer do two of them it's time to start the discussion. I think everyone knows that allowing suffering to continue is wrong. Sometimes, in animals that aren't "family" it's hard to tell. I know when my pups are in pain, but how would you judge that in a chicken??

I would go by if the animal appears to have acute injuries that are so severe that it can no longer walk, eat or drink without assistance after the first few days of recovery.

Any illness that evidences in neurological changes of seizures, paralysis, or rigor.

Any illness that appears to block breathing passages so severely that the bird is gasping for air and struggling to breath.

Any disfigurement or congenital defect that would make this bird less able to fend for itself in flock life such as broken legs, severed legs, poor balance, increased and chronic generalized weakness, blindness, etc.

Many an animal has suffered and died from humans wanting to "give it a chance".

Quote:
I haven't been keeping chickens for all that long, but I have spent a lot of time reading many posts from a wide variety of chicken keepers. It's evident that there is a broad spectrum of attitudes towards the chickens people keep, from pure working livestock to pampered indoor pets, and all ranges in-between. I have also seen a change in my attitudes towards my own chickens as I gain more experience and perspective.

I think there's a lot of scope for a variety of opinions here. And there isn't any one point of view that is correct for every member.

I really like the variety found here on BYC. And I especially like how well-moderated this forum is kept, so that the tone is one of courtesy and consideration, even if you disagree with someone. You need not "hold back" if you really feel that you have something worthwhile to contribute to a discussion, just be sure you choose your words with care.

Thanks. Good to know. We were giving our girl the course of antibiotics time frame to recover and she is already showing signs of improvement, eating and drinking and moving better. But I have no intention of spoon feeding a chicken on my patio for an indefinite period of time. I do think giving her an opportunity to heal in a controlled environment was the right decision. don't particularly care if she walks with a limp, as long as she can function and isn't in pain. I think flock size has a lot to do with this as well. I have four birds. Somewhat easier to get attached to individuals.

I have recommended putting animals down with no problem on here...And i could care less what folks think.
I cant stand when i see some folks keep an animal alive and let it linger on and suffer with an obvious fatal/painful injury......
Makes me sick actually....
There was one recently that i suggest to just put the poor animal down... did they listen? Nooooooo..
Guess what happend... it suffered for a couple of weeks and eventually died anyway...
Instead if putting it down right away and ending its suffering..they let it linger on in pain for a couple of weeks...
Again... made me sick to my stomach...
If you have animals you HAVE to be strong enough to do the RIGHT thing by them.... and yes, that sometimes means ending their suffering.
Only selfish, weak, cruel people let an animal suffer because they are too cowardly to do the right thing for the animal...
I always think... how would they like it? HOw would they like to be left to suffer until they die? You know what they say about Karma... maybe that will happen to them someday...

Last edited:
Interesting you bring up karma, and suffering together in that post. Both principal Buddhist tenets. I do think that was really angry. perhaps compassion (another Buddhist biggie) needs to be exercised both toward the suffering animals in our care, and the individuals trying to make the best decisions they can. That is not to say that your advice, as a teacher with much more experience than most (evidenced by your post count ) should ever be discounted. Some people are here trying to do the right thing. Nothing to be so angry about, in my opinion.

"Real compassion extends to each and every sentient being, not just to friends or family or those in terrible situations. To develop the practice of compassion to its fullest extent, one must practice patience."
- H.H. The Dalai Lama

Quote:
I agree with the above. I have no heartburn making the ultimate decision to put an animal down...but it's my decision, my sadness, my burden, my compassion, my responsibility and no one elses. For me to tell or suggest to someone to put their animal down is not my place; it is their decision and they have to live by it just like the rest of us. I have only recommended to one BYCer to put an animal down by PM only, due to a very severe injury. The animal died about week later.

Back
Top Bottom