Do any of You use your duck eggs for punkin' pie?

PlumTuckered

Crowing
15 Years
Jun 27, 2007
Arkansas
My Punkin' Pie recipe calls for 4 large eggs. I've got large chicken eggs from my Hens but I've also got large eggs from my Pekins sitting here.

Michelle

Use 2 large duck eggs in place of the 4 large chicken eggs.
smile.png

Yum!

I made punpkin pies with duck eggs at Thanksgiving. They were great. My eggs are the same size as the chicken eggs (young ducks). I only use duck eggs for baking now that I have them.

I make everything with duck eggs. Pies, Brownies, Pumpkin bread, Banana zucchini bread, French Toast, Zucchini fritters, Zucchini bread, Egg fried rice, Blueberry pancakes, Biscuits, Swiss chard Ricotta pie, delicious by the way,Mini chip scones, Oatmeal chocolate chip cookies, Oatmeal Scotchies, Cupcakes, yellow cake, Fried eggs, over hard, Chicken and onion omelet, Scrambled egg, Pumpkin spice muffins, Strawberry yogurt muffins, and most recently butter cookies, cream cheese wreaths, marshmallow dreams, jam cookies.

I haven't tried meringue or angel food cake, mostly because I hear duck egg whites don't whip up so well. I hope you pie was delicious!!!

I made 2 punkin pies using my duck eggs and the pies were fabulous!! A big hit with the whole family :)

I've been boiling my duck eggs and feeding them to the chickens and ducks for extra protien...think I'll be keeping some for my cooking/baking too (until I'm ready to hatch some in spring ;-) ) LOL

Michelle

Our ducks and turkeys are laying. I do not know what to do with these eggs. We are all a little leary to eating them as they are green (ducks) and spotted (turkeys). Do they taste the same ?? We eat our chicken eggs all the time and my kids swear they are the best, but need some incouragement for the others. Any opinions ??

Duck eggs are deeeeeeeeeelicious! That's the reason why I initally got ducks, because I had heard how tasty they were and especially how much better they made all baked goods taste. I use them in equal amounts to chicken eggs listed in recipes, 1 duck egg = 1 chicken egg. But I haven't tried whipping the whites separately so don't know how they work for that. The whites of duck eggs are denser, the whole egg is richer, that's what gives your baked goods the extra richness & loft.

On Christmas morning I made pancakes for the family & had the kids go out and collect the duck eggs that had been freshly laid for Christmas. I've used them in pumpkin pie, and all other doughs & batters that use eggs. I use them in quiche and don't add extra milk or cream.

I haven't had a turkey egg but I hear they're very good too. I love the eggs from our guinea hens, they're flavorful because they eat less feed & more seeds & insects. I've used the goose eggs in scrambled eggs but haven't worked out the conversion rate for use in recipes.

Quote:
The turkey eggs taste the same as fresh chicken eggs. Only difference is the shell color and the size. My crowd loves deviled turkey eggs because they are so big!
Sharon

Back
Top Bottom