1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Do any of your chickens chase birds?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by xxIsabellaxx, Apr 21, 2012.

1. xxIsabellaxx

xxIsabellaxx Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2011
    My silkie bantam hen loves to chase Robins out of bushes and it's really cute when she does it but i was wondering if anyone else have experienced that?

2. Fierlin1182

Fierlin1182 powered-flight

Aug 26, 2011
    Yep. A couple of our more dominant hens will chase and squawk at magpies in the garden. :p
    However, for some reason, they all really like pigeons and will let the things eat with them, which gets a bit troublesome for us sometimes.

3. Den in Penn

Den in Penn Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2011
    SE Pa.
    Mine don't go out of their way to chase them. But they will defend the ground under the bird feeders. I had one RIR repeatedly chase a sparrow that was trying to land there. Or maybe the sparrow was taunting the hen.

4. chookhead

chookhead Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2011
    yea mine like pigeons lol
    my younger pullets chase birds and i think its to earn their keep

5. devora

devora Chillin' With My Peeps

Birds, butterflies, leaves, pieces of lint flying by...anything. But only for a second or so..

They are easily distracted but inherently lazy.

6. dolly85

dolly85 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2010
    My hens will chase away HUGE crows! These crows are bigger then them, I need to get a video of it one of these days.

marierod likes this.
  7. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

I have a salmon faverolle rooster who HATES blue jays, sparrows and squirrels. He chases them. The squirrel DOES taunt him, for sure. But Hitchcock will circle the tree trunk in which the squirrel has "escaped."

My bantam buff Brahma rooster chases birds, too, especially the blue jays.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by