Do Any of Your Ducks ATTACK Your Legs?

What??
hide.gif
You ATE YOUR PET DUCK?
sickbyc.gif
Gross, I couldn't even imagine eating one of my pets no matter what they did. ~Julie~

I have a client with a native duck (was rescued and raised) that will bite. Feet, hands, pants. But apart from him, no other ducks i know will attack feet. My ducks, or any I look after, will just run away and give me a wide berth if I go near them. If you catch my goose though, she will chew on fingers, hair, hands, arms, any jewellery. As a gosling, we tried to teach her 'no skin' with a slight tap, or grab of the beak. It worked until she went outside with the other ducks and now she is disobediant haha.

123duck - I would consider taking them if I was in the area. I have a bunch of broody Sussex hens, they're stealing all the eggs and I have no clue which ones are good and which ones are 'bad'.

spiderlady - If it was a rooster I could probably eat it, but a duck. No way. Plus I've tasted duck meat before and it's nasty sick!

~ Aspen

My White Call male, Daffy is very sweet and quiet and doesn't mind being handled too much. But my White Call hen, Taffy, that women is crazy! She is noisy, mean, and hates to be touched period! When I try and pick up Daffy she rushes over and trys to attack my hands. Goofy girl. I love them to death though!

~ Aspen

Reply to Aspen and Julie,
Although I love ducks and think they are awesome creatures (obviously or I wouldn't be here), I don't keep them as pets exactly. Although saving some money on eggs and meat doesn't begin to pay for the high costs of keeping ducks over winter in Alaska, it does at least offset them some, and we get delicious home grown food that we know where came from, and we know that the animals had the best possible life - not true of any meat you buy at the store.

Also, I'm sorry that you have never tasted good duck!!
ep.gif
I don't know what the person who cooked it for you did to it, but duck meat is delicious. Maybe you tasted wild duck? Totally different. My ducks are grain fed, free range in the summer, get lots of fresh food for treats and swim in clean plastic kiddie pools, not nasty scummy ponds - which will definitely affect the taste of the eggs and meat, since the ducks eat stuff out of there if given the chance.

hu.gif
Anyways, wow, I feel awkward now and a little bit embarrassed..... Am I really the only person on this forum that eats duck? I really am curious, how do you all keep hatching new ducklings, and keep fresh layers, etc, if you never butcher any, wouldn't you soon be completely overrun with ducks?... What do you do with them?

Cheers,
spiderlady

Last edited:
Don't feel awkward or embarrassed! I commend you for wanting to give your food animals the best life possible. I would like to do this myself, but so far I haven't because I'm afraid that I would get too attached and then I'd just have way too many "pets."

hu.gif
Anyways, wow, I feel awkward now and a little bit embarrassed..... Am I really the only person on this forum that eats duck? I really am curious, how do you all keep hatching new ducklings, and keep fresh layers, etc, if you never butcher any, wouldn't you soon be completely overrun with ducks?... What do you do with them?

Cheers,
spiderlady

I've never actually had duck either, but I think I would like it because I like dark meat. Most people I know don't like duck, but that might be because most people seem to prefer the white meat.

Last edited:
This will be our first year to raise Muscovy for meat. and we have had them for going on 9 years now. I know crazy but that is changing I still love my animals and we have processed a many an extra rooster, but have always prascticed birth control when it came to our ducks So this season we have decided to try duck.

I have my pet ducks and I have mallards that I get eggs from and eat sometimes. I also duck hunt and eat wild ones. When I raised domestics the mean drake was the first in the pot! I used to keep paradise shelducks and that was the worst drake Ive ever encountered out of all geese, swans or ducks put together. Biting was bad enough but hitting you with the fronts of the wings was way worst!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom