Do any predators hunt during the day?

Annie44

In the Brooder
6 Years
Feb 12, 2013
Massachusetts
I've almost finished my chicken run with 1" chicken wire, then learned that chicken wire doesn't keep predators out... I'll be safely shutting the chickies in their coop at night, but are there any predators that could hunt my chickens when they are in the run during the day? If so, how could I prevent them from killing my flock?

Thanks!

Very few predators hunt during daylight hours but chicken hawks and sometimes owls will, and to solve that buy plastic mesh and drap it over the top of your chicken run, Hope this has helped you
smile.png

Foxes hunt during the day when they have pups. I have lost guineas at any hour of the day when the fox population is high. Depends on your area & predator load if a fox will take the time to rip or go under your fence. Dogs could be a bigger problem. I used plastic fencing for several years & never had a problem, but it is always a possibility.

Racoons are also out during the day. I have had them come into my screened in back porch trying to get to my cockatoo several times.

Your biggest risk from most predators is at night. Most predators are more active a night and they have more uninterrupted time to break through your defenses. But like most everyone else is saying, not all predators read the same book. It’s not at all unusual to have foxes, coyotes, bobcats, raccoons and other “nocturnal” predators hunt during the day light hours. It doesn’t mean they are sick or have rabies or anything like that, it just means they are out hunting or roaming.

Maybe they have hungry babies to feed. Maybe Mama just weaned them and they are looking for a home to call their own. Maybe last night’s hunt didn’t go well. That doesn’t consider that some things like hawks hunt during daylight. For me, my biggest problem has been dogs that can come anytime. A decent sized dog can tear through chicken wire, either breaking it or pulling so hard it untwists. If you look at the chicken wire, it’s made by twisting the wire together, not welding.

Since my biggest danger is at night, I built a predator-proof coop and a predator-resistant run and lock them up securely at night. I used a heavy enough wire that my run will stop most non-climbing critters, but climbing ones could find their way in if they wanted to bad enough, things like bobcats, foxes, and raccoons. I don’t have bears of mountain lions so I don’t have to worry about that.

It’s not that predators come each and every day and night, just that they can come at any time. It’s not that they will rip through that chicken wire every time they do come. There is a difference in what can possibly happen and what absolutely will happen each and every time without fail.

One member of this forum kept his prize-winning chickens in chicken-wire breeding pens for years without any problems. Then a pack of dogs showed up during the daytime while he was gone and wiped out his breeding flock. You may go years without a problem, but there is always a risk.

Does your run have a cover? Hawks will definitely kill during the day.

Very few predators hunt during daylight hours but chicken hawks and sometimes owls will, and to solve that buy plastic mesh and drap it over the top of your chicken run, Hope this has helped you
smile.png

Thanks! Yeah my run has a cover, as well as a lot of tree cover---I dont think hawks will be a problem :)
Foxes hunt during the day when they have pups. I have lost guineas at any hour of the day when the fox population is high. Depends on your area & predator load if a fox will take the time to rip or go under your fence. Dogs could be a bigger problem. I used plastic fencing for several years & never had a problem, but it is always a possibility.

Racoons are also out during the day. I have had them come into my screened in back porch trying to get to my cockatoo several times.

Uh-oh, ok. Thanks
Preditors never rest there is always a threat of preditors just prepare your coop for an attack at anything time

Ok, do you think chicken wire is okay then?
Your biggest risk from most predators is at night. Most predators are more active a night and they have more uninterrupted time to break through your defenses. But like most everyone else is saying, not all predators read the same book. It’s not at all unusual to have foxes, coyotes, bobcats, raccoons and other “nocturnal” predators hunt during the day light hours. It doesn’t mean they are sick or have rabies or anything like that, it just means they are out hunting or roaming.

Maybe they have hungry babies to feed. Maybe Mama just weaned them and they are looking for a home to call their own. Maybe last night’s hunt didn’t go well. That doesn’t consider that some things like hawks hunt during daylight. For me, my biggest problem has been dogs that can come anytime. A decent sized dog can tear through chicken wire, either breaking it or pulling so hard it untwists. If you look at the chicken wire, it’s made by twisting the wire together, not welding.

Since my biggest danger is at night, I built a predator-proof coop and a predator-resistant run and lock them up securely at night. I used a heavy enough wire that my run will stop most non-climbing critters, but climbing ones could find their way in if they wanted to bad enough, things like bobcats, foxes, and raccoons. I don’t have bears of mountain lions so I don’t have to worry about that.

It’s not that predators come each and every day and night, just that they can come at any time. It’s not that they will rip through that chicken wire every time they do come. There is a difference in what can possibly happen and what absolutely will happen each and every time without fail.

One member of this forum kept his prize-winning chickens in chicken-wire breeding pens for years without any problems. Then a pack of dogs showed up during the daytime while he was gone and wiped out his breeding flock. You may go years without a problem, but there is always a risk.

Thanks for such an informative answer. I'll do my best
smile.png

Even hardware cloth won't stop a determined predator, but it will slow them down. I have windows on my coop that are covered with steel screen covering, 1/4 inch hardware cloth, and reinforced by wooden beams also reinforced by zinc galvanized plated structural hardware flats. I also have motion sensor lights nearby and a baby monitor inside the coop. This isn't the best picture, but I also placed extended baby gates in front of the doors for extra noise to wake me if there is a disturbance. Yes, I know the hazards of keeping a heat lamp in the coop, I was a firefighter for years. The babies are only 7 weeks and there have been some 40 degree nights. I am in the process of building a completely enclosed run. With those things in place, I feel the babies are quite safe. A shotgun can handle what I can't.
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom