Do any types of pheasants besides ringneck lay blue eggs?

RosalynU

Chirping
11 Years
Nov 12, 2008
Eugene
I'm researching the colors of eggs of different varieties of pheasants. There is very little information available on the web. I know that ringneck pheasants lay eggs of various colors, including blue. Even the brown eggs are blue on the inside of the shell, because the blue pigment goes all through the egg, while the brown pigment is just deposited on the outside.

Do any other varieties, such as silver or golden, show any blue pigment, especially when looking at the inside of the shell?

Thanks for any help you can give me.

RosalynU

Hmmm Not An Authority Here... But I Have Not Seen Any Blue Pheasant Eggs. All My Eggs Are Varying Shades Of Gray/green/olive/ Brown. I Know Silvers Lay A Brown Egg, Much Like The Brown Chicken Eggs You Buy At The Grocery Store.... Goldens Are A Pale Brown, Almost A Cream Color. Perhaps One Of The More Experienced Guys Will Pitch In On This For You.....

Thanks, JJMR. I should have been more specific, as green and olive have the blue egg gene, but with added brown genes to muddy it up. If you break open green/olive eggs, they should look fairly blue on the inside of the shell. However, its sounds like Silvers and Goldens probably don't have any blue eggshell gene.

Last edited:
Reeves lay green eggs, slight blueish tint.

eReevesmale.jpg

Yes Most Ring Neck Mutations Have Blue Egg Lining. The Silvers And Goldens Do Not. I Dont Know About Some Of The More Exotic Speces, But I'm Sure Randy (spectrum Ranch) Does.

My hubbies pheasants have blue eggs. We have one hen who has sat on about 18 eggs for about 2 months. Nothing is happening. I went in the coop and took and egg and cracked it open (don't tell my husband, he'll just die) and it looked just like when you crack a chicken egg. Nothing forming or anything. I think she is brooding on them. We have one male and three females. The other females don't bother to sit on the nest. Does anyone have any suggestions about what is going on? Thanks. Lisa

I assume you are talking ringnecks. They will abandon a nest once they think you have discovered it. They are pretty finicky. Best thing to do to get them to brood in captivity is to provide thema brush corner or something where you can avoid disturbing them at all.

Quote:
If these are ringnecks- it will depend on the hen- most of our broody ringneck hens will get off the nest when I check the eggs but come right back once I leave the pen. If you cracked an egg open and it looks like a fresh chicken egg- my quess would be two things:

1. Another hen had just recently laid it in her nest or

2. The eggs are not fertile. If she has truly been incubating the eggs for 2 months, (not just on the nest laying an egg before she started brooding) then either they are not fertile or the embryo's have died.

One thing to consider is-- IF the other hens have been laying eggs in her nest, you would have eggs at different stages of incubation. I would suggest candling them to check.

So you don't disturb her to much- what i do with broody pheasants is during the day, so the hen will return to the nest, take half the eggs to the house or dark spot and candle them, that way if she goes back to the nest while you are gone with some of the eggs she still has some to sit on. After you find the results- return the good eggs and take the rest to candle and return the good.

If none are good- you could place chicken eggs under her and let her raise them, but if she has been broody this long she is probably about ready to give up.

Randy

Back
Top Bottom