Do baby chicks know if they are male or female?

chickenkeeper12

Chirping
7 Years
Nov 25, 2012
Connecticut
I have always wondered this. Do the chicks know if they are a male or female. Do the other chicks know who is what. I don't think there is a answer but it never hurts to ask.

Last edited:
Absolutely yes!!! They know. You'll see young cockrels keeping an eye on things, while the pullets happily snooze the day away. That being said... can you tell the difference by their behavior within the first day or 2 after hatching? Not likely, but if you are an excellent observer, you can pick out behavior differences that make you suspect that one chick is a roo. I can say that they know by observing the differences in the behavior of my male and female sex links.

Absolutely yes!!! They know. You'll see young cockrels keeping an eye on things, while the pullets happily snooze the day away. That being said... can you tell the difference by their behavior within the first day or 2 after hatching? Not likely, but if you are an excellent observer, you can pick out behavior differences that make you suspect that one chick is a roo. I can say that they know by observing the differences in the behavior of my male and female sex links.

Nahhh....just because they're watching things or lazing around doesn't mean they're aware of their self awareness yet. They don't know if their own selves are male or female until they start mating, crowing and laying eggs. :)

Back
Top Bottom