Do bachelor roosters crow more after losing a loved one?

amoretsky

Chirping
10 Years
Mar 22, 2012
Panhandle of Florida
Very diverse group given the range of answers on my last post.

Ok, here's something more technical.

Besides being stupid, I'm also deaf - or almost so. The coop is outside my bedroom window. I barely heard the ONE rooster crowing in the past, now he's a youngster and just coming into his own. I mention this as it may color the issue.

So I'm having breakfast this morning and it's like a fog horn in the back yard. Harry the rooster is crowing up a storm. Did my hearing return or is he just louder and more insistent? I must have neglected to lock the coop door because he got out and was roaming the back yard when I was up at 6 AM so that could be it too. Maybe the coop dulls his crowing?

So the question - is Harry crowing more since he's the single chicken in the roost now? Or is this my imagination?

Allen

He may be, chickens are social animals and need to be with others. Maybe he is lonely and crowing more to try and "call" other chickens?

Iinteresting question. I'd love to know the answer.

I do know that when I keep my rooster separate from the hens at night, he crows loudly, nonstop, in the mornings, until I let him in with them.

I noticed that when he sleeps with the hens he doesn't crow as early or as much, though it sounds louder, because it's not as muffled as his crowing is when he's separated from the hens, inside the solarium, which is more insulated than the coop.

Being in the closed coop certainly muffle the sound. I don't let mine out before 7:00am for that reason. Being out and up with the sun, well he just had to crow about that. He may be crowing to proclaim to the world he's here alive and healthy.

I keep my boy in the solarium in the house on Saturday night and Sunday night. I figure most people sleep late on the weekends, and the solarium muffles his crowing better than the coop does. But I figure on weekday mornings he can be in the coop. He used to come to me in the evenings to see which place he would be sleeping, but now he is the first one on the roost at night in the coop. He has outgrown me, and the hens are now his world. I guess that is as it should be.

are there other roos near by, every time he hears another roo crowin he will crow back that hes bigger and the hens should come to him. and the older they gat the more they crow,,say from a juvi to an adult,, they crow to bring in hens, to tell hens get up, to tell hens he found food, to tell hens nap time, to tell hens bed time, to tell any roo in hearing range he the big boy on the block,,, or maybe its a miricle and your hearing has come back hehe ;)

Back
Top Bottom