Do bantam and silkie eggs hatch earlier than standard eggs?

Germaine_11.20

Songster
10 Years
Jun 6, 2009
Idaho
Two days early! It seems that my small eggs are hatching two days early.
Typically the standards are hatching 1 day early. I know that my incubator may run high at times, but those stinkers are almost impossible to adjust right.
They are running about 100 to 100.8 Genesis hovabator.

So, can you tell me if bantam and small eggs like silkie and Millie Fleur usually hatch early?

Thanks for any help you can offer.

I'm hatching some eggs as we speak - 9 standard Ameraucanas, 3 bantam frizzle cochins and a Silkie. The Silkie was the first to hatch, followed by a cochin and an Ameraucana. The other cochins are pipped, as well as a few Ameraucanas, but not all. I'd say the bantams are a little bit ahead of the standards, but my little clutch is certainly not big enough to be scientific.

I'm wondering the same thing. I've got banties in the brooder and it sure seems like something that small would fill up the egg faster. But then, because it's so small it may have a slower start... so I am absolutely no help. But I'd love to hear what others with experience say!

Back when I could still hatch (yeah...I've got a long rant about Hovabators) the bantam cochins usually hatched on day 20-21...never before.

I don't think it's any different for standard and bantam but I'm sure everyone's experience is varied.

While this is my first time with seramas - ultra tinies, I have done sizzles and silkies before and they hatch with everyone else here at 19/20 days, my target range.

At 21 days I'm freaking here. I couldn't stand a hatch stretching into 22-25 days - I'd shoot somebody or something.

From candling they seem to develop at the same rates. Same veining on the same days as larger eggs. Same air cell development.

I was wrong about one of the darker serama eggs and it was a clear - sigh... so two clears and ten going...
fl.gif

Here's my experience- I had one Silkie and one Standard RIR X hatch at the same time, and then a day later, my other Silkie and my OEGB hatched. So with mine, My standard hatched earlier than a Silkie and a Bantam!

I think I am the exception to rule however. I had read before that Banties can hatch as early as day 18. Mine all hatched between days 19 and 21.

I hatch more bantams than I do standards and all my bantams aside from occasional serama hatches will hatch on day 21. All my standards hatch on day 21. If I put eggs from both in the same bator they hatch together. Except for seramas which occasionally go a day or 2 early. Those are the only exception I know of with chicken eggs. If both your standards and bantams are early then your temps are too high. Are they really hatching 24hrs earlier or is one hatching in say the evening of day 19 and the other the morning of day 20? Then they'd only be 12 hrs or less apart which is more understandable. Either way your temps need tweaked a bit. Even if the temps don't get high enough to kill them hatching early can lead to complications and weaker chicks or lower hatch rates.

Sorry, I was gone all day.

One silkie and showgirl each hatched out 3 days early. Then I had 3 silkies pip today which is only 1 day early (that is what my standards do too) all in the same incubator.

After reading the posts, and seeing the others pip and hatch today, all I can think of is these other eggs must have been collected first and developed faster. They were all shipped eggs.

But at the same temp, not all pipped at the same day. So...I still don't really know.

The ones that pipped early were not developed completly. They had to go a full day before their vents looked ok and I knew they would live.

Maybe my hovabator has hot spots?

I don't really have any experience here except that my first OEGB decided to go broody. I was starting to save eggs to give a neighbor to put in their incubator. My little Harriet started staying on her golf ball so I decided to take away the golf ball and give her the 3 eggs I had started saving. She only lays every other day and I lost one egg to my stupidity (long story). One egg hatched yesterday morning, the 18, which would have been day 19 (if I counted correctly). I gave her the 3 eggs I had saved on 8/30. This egg that hatched was laid 8/22. I did mark the lay dates on all of the eggs. Maybe someone can help me with my day counting? In the morning I'll see if either of the others have hatched. I do believe this egg that hatched is the first of the eggs that was laid.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom