Do bantams grow faster? I think I see the start of a waddle...

R1V3R20NG

Songster
6 Years
Nov 2, 2017
Not here...
I have never had bantams (or chicks for that matter) and they seem to be growing at a different rate than the others. Our two leghorns are going to get kicked out soon cuz they got huge. My bantam black austrolorp has the start of a waddle and comb, and my other two bantams are growing hints of their combs as well. I cannot be sure their genders at the moment and they are all at least 2 weeks old.

Probably cockerels then.
The funny part is their tails fan like a hens.
These are picks from last saturday
IMG_E1658.JPG
IMG_1661.JPG
IMG_1663.JPG

Leghorns are a fairly slow developing breed compared to some others. 2 weeks + is a normal age to start getting more of a comb and wattles. Your chicks are growing well, but no faster than a large fowl chick would. They're not obvious cockerels, either. Wattles and comb will get more and more obvious as they grow ;)

Leghorns are a fairly slow developing breed compared to some others. 2 weeks + is a normal age to start getting more of a comb and wattles. Your chicks are growing well, but no faster than a large fowl chick would. They're not obvious cockerels, either. Wattles and comb will get more and more obvious as they grow ;)
The leghorns i was just talking about but they are not the ones I'm concerned about. Its just my bantams I'm confused about. Leghorns grow really fast in my opinion, considering their average laying start time is between 17 and 21 weeks.
I was just kinda comparing the growth rates. Sorry i confused you guys with my chaotic head.

In my experience with three different bantams all were done maturing earlier than most my standard hens but I wouldn't say they grew faster. Just had less growing to do.

Back
Top Bottom