Do bantams hatch sooner than standards? Please help newby with ?s!

HB&B

Chirping
9 Years
Jun 8, 2010
Woodlawn, TN
I have a broody hen who is sitting on 2 bantam eggs and 1 standard. I heard somewhere that the bantams hatch sooner than standard size eggs. How much sooner do they hatch? I am in day 13 now. Do they need to be "locked down(not candeled)" sooner than day 18? Any information would help even if its off topic. Thanks in advance!

If you aren't using an incubator, you don't have to "lock down" anything. As a rule, they hatch at the same rate, though my d'uccles usually hatch earlier than everything else...
wink.png

Quote:
Sorry for the confusion. I know I dont need to lock down for a broody. For me the term lock down means not moving the eggs because they need to pip. So do I need to leave my bantam eggs alone (earlier than day 18?) sooner than my standards because they hatch sooner?

Are your RIR and Silkies standard and bantam? I need to know if bantams hatch sooner. I know there isnt a whole lot of variation between diferent standard breeds.

I'm getting confused?!?!?!?!?
hu.gif

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy :

No, put them into lockdown the same you would with Standard eggs on day 19. ( < - - - Stop turning them )

Thx for being able to interpret my terminology! Thx for the info!​

HB&B :

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy :

No, put them into lockdown the same you would with Standard eggs on day 19. ( < - - - Stop turning them )

Thx for being able to interpret my terminology! Thx for the info!​

Welcome.
smile.png

I incubated 8 chicken eggs ( from my own flock ) and on day 20 a bantam and standard both hatched .... everybody else hatched the next morning.​

Last edited:
I hatched 15 bantam eggs under 3 broodies this spring, and they all hatched at 19 to 20 days. However, it was pretty warm here throughout the incubation period (upper 80's, low 90's) so that might have helped move things along more quickly.

Last edited:
Bantam eggs sometimes hatch on day nineteen or twenty, but usually it's twenty-one days like normal. I hatched a whole bunch of bantams in the spring and most of them hatched on late day twenty or day twenty-one. The hatch should go fine, mama ought to sit long enough for everyone to hatch. The only times I've had trouble with a mother hen hatching some chicks and leaving the hatching eggs, there was a difference of three or more days. (And now I know if they don't hatch two days after the first chick hatches, if mom's not staying put I'll just steal the remaining eggs and stick them in the incubator to hatch.)

Last edited:
Thanks everyone for the replies. I just candled a the 2 bantam and 1 standard egg under "Mama" and the 2 bantam are developing, but nothing seen on the standard. Let me remind you we are in day 14. I guess I remove and dispose of standard egg? Also I have 2 EE mix eggs under "Buffy" I can't seem to be able to see much of anything while candeling I guess I'll just let those sit until the others have hatched.

Back
Top Bottom