DO BBBs GROW AS FASTER AND BIGGER LIKE THE BBWs?

The bird in @hdmax profile pic looks to be a heritage Sweetgrass variety. And bird in @austria89 profile pic is a heritage Pencilled Blue Fall Fire that he has created himself he breeds a lot of very interesting and beautiful varieties of heritage turkeys. Between him and Kevin Porter they are in my opinion the heritage turkey gurus of our time. Both have very informative sites about heritage turkeys. https://turkey-color-genetics.com/2021/04/10/genotypes-phenotypes/ This is @austria89 site. https://www.porterturkeys.com/ and this is porters site and he also sells many varieties of heritage turkeys. Both are very informative. They are leading the way for restoring our heritage turkeys.
Wow, that's amazing! Then we are really lucky to have them amongst us. It's a huge plus. Will definitely check the sites out to learn more. Will have to get in touch with them to know if I can buy them and have them shipped to West Africa. They look so beautifu! Would be keeping them purely for strutting. 😁

I have not yet. I will say their big enough right now that I'm kind of afraid I may hurt them if I were to lift them. Not to big that they can't get around. I plan to process in early November or late October and will try and post then. I'll try and post a couple pics for reference.

I have not yet. I will say their big enough right now that I'm kind of afraid I may hurt them if I were to lift them. Not to big that they can't get around. I plan to process in early November or late October and will try and post then. I'll try and post a couple pics for reference.
Please do that for me since you will be processing them for the table, please! The difference in their weight will well inform my decision come January, either to go for BBWs again or BBBs

Last edited:
Okay this was harder than I thought.:) Couldn't get them to stand next to each other and when they would one would be strutting so it was hard to get a good picture. When I say the BBW is bigger its not a huge difference. Just a little bigger but here are a couple pictures. The Bourbon Reds are the same age. I included the one of my bubby trying to see what I was doing just for the fun of it. Oh and as a reference the water can is one of those you get at Tractor Supply. This is the 5 gal one. I included as a size reference.

Attachments

• Turkey 1.jpg
    Turkey 1.jpg
    721.1 KB · Views: 1
  • Turkey 2.jpg
    Turkey 2.jpg
    271.5 KB · Views: 1
  • Turkey 3.jpg
    Turkey 3.jpg
    292.7 KB · Views: 1
  • Turkey 4.jpg
    Turkey 4.jpg
    618.4 KB · Views: 1
  • Turkey 5.jpg
    Turkey 5.jpg
    441.1 KB · Views: 1
Okay this was harder than I thought.:) Couldn't get them to stand next to each other and when they would one would be strutting so it was hard to get a good picture. When I say the BBW is bigger its not a huge difference. Just a little bigger but here are a couple pictures. The Bourbon Reds are the same age. I included the one of my bubby trying to see what I was doing just for the fun of it. Oh and as a reference the water can is one of those you get at Tractor Supply. This is the 5 gal one. I included as a size reference.
Woooooow!!! Solid! Thanks so much, your birds are nice. I appreciate that! The Bourbon Reds too look huge as well. 🤩 I like their plumage.

Thank you. The color is what drew me to them. The BR male is about as tall and defiantly longer in the legs but his body isn't near the size of the BB ones. The hens are much smaller but have the same coloring.

Thank you. The color is what drew me to them. The BR male is about as tall and defiantly longer in the legs but his body isn't near the size of the BB ones. The hens are much smaller but have the same coloring.
Been learning a lot about them lately and it's like tick all the boxes. Maternal instincts(no need for incubation and it's related problems), natural mating(no AI), self sustenance(less money spent on acquiring birds and feed as they free range more and can reproduce for me), stronger and hardier(less antibiotics), lots of eggs and tastier meat. Happy I am part of this amazing family, I really appreciate all the ideas and solutions. Thanks so much!

Back
Top Bottom