Do black sex links lay every day?

the simple life

Songster
11 Years
May 2, 2008
Weymouth, Massachusetts
I have 6 black sex links and I got my first egg two weeks ago.
I have been getting three eggs everyday since.
My question is whether I have 3 girls laying every other day or only 3 girls are laying yet and I am getting an egg a day from them.
Does anyone have any experinece with Black sex links, do they lay every day or mostly every other day?
I know all hens vary, I am just trying to find out the norm.

Hello The simple Life!

I have 2 Black sex links and 4 Black Austrolorps, and they do lay every day, I get 6 eggs most days, and they are 7 months old now.. been laying about 2 months now. The Sex links started laying first! We decided to get both these breeds due to their egg production. Next are a few Buff Orpingtons..Hope this helps! T & J

Hi SImple Life....

Im from Mass...originally (Salem)....

To your question... most chickens have a 25 hour egg cycle.. so, every so often they will skip a day...

You could do a vent check to see which hen is laying, if you think you have just 3 of them laying..but don't forget.. its winter, and they will start to slow down.

Between moult and shortened daylight hours... the chickens will slow down in egg production, and start up again as soon as they start to get the recommended 14 hours of "laying" light.

Brrrr.....

my black sex links also just started laying 2 mo ago, and they are a little irregular right now, and I am expecting them to miss a day every now and then. they may lay 5 eggs a week, and are a little small, but will get bigger and more frequent as time goes by.

I have 2 of my 9 layers are black. They lay often can't say every day but they lay BIG I have never seen this big of a chicken egg before. No wonder she squacks and screams when she is in the next box! Her eggs are 4-5 inches long and just huge...they barely fit in the egg carton. They are usually always double yolkers also.

Thanks for all the help everyone. While I know that no chicken lays 365 days a year, and thats not what I meant, I was just trying to find out if they were for the most part laying 5-6 days a week.
I think the record is actually a Rhode Island Red that laid 364 days in a single year.
I am trying to figure out how many I have laying right now. I get three eggs everyday from 6 hens.
I guess I will have to pay closer attention.
It is getting colder and darker earlier here so that is going to cause some confusion with some starting to lay and some slowing down.
I am glad to hear they will lay nice big eggs, something to look forward to!

Athena, nice to meet you, I have gone to Salem a few times during the Halloween season.
Fun place to visit!

Back
Top Bottom