Do Black Vultures take Chickens? HELP!

Yucky!
sad.png
Poor calves and poor farmers.

I would say its a fox, one being they will attack during the day and two the will get down wind of your dogs so they can't smell them, start walking ur dogs on a lead all around ur property and let them go the bathroom, it worked for me. Also don't put meat scraps in any compost piles or leave scents that will tract preds

I have 4 of these flying around my house over my coops any idea what it is and should i be worried?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180413-144551_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20180413-144551_Gallery.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 21
Sorry about your chickens i should be pissed to hopefully you'll find out what's taking them.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180413-144549_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20180413-144549_Gallery.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 16
Black Vultures...WILL take chickens. I am out regularly shooting bottle rockets and such at them. They swoop down, with me and two teenage kids around. They have gotten a few chickens from a distant neighbor.
Here they hang out in the wooded area along some of the edges where there are dead trees. They actually study and learn before any attacks.
These birds are not something to take lightly. I would shoot them but they are federally protected.
FYI-They are around two feet tall and have over 5ft wing span. They will also puke something ratchet on you if you approach them.

I have heard of black vultures attacking baby calves unable to move but most chickens can evade a vulture, I would think. They are not like hawks who swoop down and grab their prey. They peck the baby calves to death. Ewwww however a chicken is not going to stand there and let that happen.

I had black vultures take several of my hens before I figured it out. I came outside once to find one eating what was left of one of my hens it took, and another time saw one snatch one right in front of me and carried it off to the woods. So, yes, they will eat your chickens. I hate them.

Black Vultures...WILL take chickens. I am out regularly shooting bottle rockets and such at them. They swoop down, with me and two teenage kids around. They have gotten a few chickens from a distant neighbor.
Here they hang out in the wooded area along some of the edges where there are dead trees. They actually study and learn before any attacks.
These birds are not something to take lightly. I would shoot them but they are federally protected.
FYI-They are around two feet tall and have over 5ft wing span. They will also puke something ratchet on you if you approach them.
You can get permits to shoot them. I have a friend who raises sheep that was having a problem with them going after ewes having thier lambs. He shoots them and hangs them up in the trees for the other vultures to see. Cut down on his problem considerably.

Back
Top Bottom