do boxes work

eggspoppypop

Hatching
6 Years
Apr 16, 2013
I was wondering how well chicks will do in a smaller box instead of a fancy incubator, if we need one we will get it but if a box will work why bother to buy a incubator???

CHICKS NEED HEAT, WATER AND FOOD HOW YOU GIVE IT TO THEM MAKES NO DIFFERANCE. A BOX WITH A LIGHT FOR HEAT. A FEW DISHES FOR FOOD AND WATER. A LITTLE MORE WORK FOR YOU BUT THEY WILL WORK JUST FINE!

I've kept chicks in a card board box with newspaper for droppings and I only use a light at night when it gets cold (in summers I don't even put a light) I give them food and water in a dish and that's all :)

Last edited:
You hatching or want a brooder for chicks?? If your incubating i would get an incubator as the temp needs to be very closely controlled.. 2 or 3 degrees too high and it can be devastating... Our brinsea incubator works great and kept the temp within .1 degree the entire 21 days.. If you just want a small brooder for chicks, we just bought a cheap tote at walmart... If your incubating, you can make your own bator, but id use something other than a cardboard box.. Foam ice chest perhaps.. Better insulation means better temp control

Back
Top Bottom