Do breeds mature at different rates? Newbie question

ChiknMama

Chirping
8 Years
Apr 26, 2011
Hello,

Our chicks are about 6 days old and our Black Australorp is bigger than the other two. The BA and the Easter Egger seem to be feathering at about the same rate, wings and some tail feathers but our Buff Orpington is still fuzzy with only a little bit of wing growth. Is this normal??? Also I don't think I have seen any other EEs the color of ours and her wings seem to be coming in white is this an EE? They all are eating and acting fine to me so I believe they are all healthy just growing differently.

88804_018.jpg
88804_020.jpg

88804_007.jpg
88804_015.jpg

88804_030.jpg
88804_031.jpg

Your pics are kinda blurry but yes, chicks do mature at different rates, even within their own breeds. I have a barred rock that was the smallest, scrawniest looking chick the whole time she was growing up with her sisters (barred rocks and glw). She has done everything late, including laying eggs. However, she is just fine and is the most talkative, bossiest and sneakiest of them all. Yours look fine and healthy.

Seems like you've made a good observation, rather than it being a question! And you're right, it seems like each chick does grow at it's own pace......Same breed or not.

One thing I've noticed is that every rooster chick (cockerel) I've had grows feathers very slowly.....They seem to keep the fuzz on their bodies longer, with just growing wing feathers and barely any tail.......I know it's probably not always the case, but so far, I've found it to be true.....

Black Australorps are among the fastest to mature. That is why I picked them to be my first laying hens. They are also one of the heavy breeds, so they will most likely grow faster and be bigger in the end than your EE.

Last edited:
My Welsummers grew lightning fast as did the Black Australorp. My Dominique was tiny but feathering at the same pace and then had a huge growth spurt so she's almost as big as the BA now! The EEs were medium-fast and the Speckled Sussex has been very slow by comparison (interesting to see since she's supposed to be such a big girl when she's done!). So yes, I observed discrepancies in my mixed flock. They did seem to follow the same pattern for feather development. My EE cockerel feathered at the same pace as the EE pullets so I have not experienced the "slow male feathering" so many others talk about. He does seem to be holding onto his down more firmly (the neck, especially, has a lot of fluff sticking out between the feathers.

Thank you for all of the responses...a little reassurance goes a long way with a new mom
idunno.gif
was getting a little concerned for our BO since she seems tiny next to the others. I took some more pictures today of them side by side in the brooder which hopefully won't be as blurry, still getting used to my DH's camera. These girls need to clean up their room
hide.gif

88804_021.jpg

88804_028.jpg

88804_026.jpg

Someone likes to be queen of the roost already
bow.gif

88804_024.jpg

Back
Top Bottom