5 week old chicks growing drastically different from each other.

Damnchickenmath

In the Brooder
Mar 8, 2024
Hi this is my first post and first time with chickens. We have 3 easter eggers, 4 plymouth rocks and 4 australorps all hatched the same time. They are growing at strange rates. 3 of our plymouths are pretty big so far and one is about half the size and about half as feathered out. 1 easter egger is bigger than all the others while the other 2 are much smaller. 1 australorp is as big as the big plymouths while the other 3 are much smaller and dont even have tails yet. Since this is my forat time, is this normal? And strangely the big easter egger is bullied by the smaller australorps she is seperated now so she can heal. Any advice or encouragement?

Photos of some of the birds for comparison, as well as the housing would help. Where are the birds housed right now - are they in the coop already, still in a brooder? How much space do they have? What are you feeding?

Having a runt or two isn't unheard of, but kind of strange to have so many. Where did you get the birds from?

Ill get some pics when i check on them before bed. Their brooder is 4x7 and about 3 feet tall. Basically two pallets that i built cardboard sides on. I made one that they outgrew so i made another and screwed them together with a door between. They have 2 roost bars and a platform with the bottom of one side open. The other side is mostly for food water and dust bath. We let them out several times a day to run around on top of it all. They are eating sprout starter/grower crumbles and have access at all times. Water is freshened daily. Some treats of eggs, sprouted lentils and meal worms. Not much just once a day

Brooder size is good. Is the coop ready to go yet? Where were the chicks sourced from, a feed store, direct mail order from a hatchery, from a breeder?
I got them from dahline hatchery the coop should have been ready but weather set me back a couple weeks. Should have it done in a week or so.

1000005631.jpg

This is the easter egger. I cant get them to cooperate for a pic but shes so much more feathered and taller than the rest

Back
Top Bottom