Blue (My Blue Plymouth Rock) Lethargic

stacyg7713

In the Brooder
Apr 16, 2024
Houston, Texas
Hello,

I'm newish here. I brought home 4 baby chicks from Tractor Supply on April 7th, 2024. They all seemed to be doing alright but Blue, my Blue Plymouth Rock is suddenly not doing well. I'm quite worried. She is a little on the smaller side. But she seems to be having trouble walking. Very lethargic looking. I checked her vent and it was clear. I'm just not sure how to help her more. I have 4 other chicks. I have 2 Buff Orpingtons, and one seems to be the bully always walking all over Blue, while the other one cuddles up close to Blue to keep her warm. My Black Australorp doesn't really bother her and sometimes joins the cuddle fest. She doesn't feel cold (like her feet areas.) She does drink when I put her near the water dish. And she is pretty laid back. I held her close for a while last night and she seemed to enjoy the head rubs and fall asleep on my chest. I guess I am looking for some help. I really want to find out what is wrong with her. I hope she isn't going to die. She is pretty alert, but really her legs seem to be weak. I did try separating her, but she was so upset and shrieking like a banshee, so I put her back. Any help would be wonderful. The picture I have attach show how she lays down, and she kind of shuffles to the food and water. She doesn't like to fully stand up. And the other are my Buff Orpingtons cuddling up to her. I updated a picture of her poop that she had this morning. Very different from the other birds and made a squish noise when it came out. Normally I don't hear the other birds when they poop. She just started laying down like that in the last photo. She is breathing really heavily.
Thank you for your time!

Last edited:
Oh okay. I didn't realize it was too much. They are different area pictures. But maybe it is still too many. I'll fix the amount I give. And thank you for the response.
For chicks, 2-3 mealworms a day each bird is more than plenty. You want them to mostly be eating their feed. I don't think it's related to your ailing bird's issues, but I had to ask since it seemed like there was a lot sprinkled around.

Back
Top Bottom