HELP!!! BABY CHICK IS SICK!!!

harleeclouse

Hatching
Mar 8, 2024
HELP!!! I got these baby chicks last week. I seem to have a sick baby chick! She’s a buff orpington who’s only about 2 weeks old and starting yesterday she starting having symptoms of being sick. She started laying down with both of her wings apart and not eating or drinking and won’t even walk! This morning when I went to check on her to give her some fresh water she seemed like she was gasping for air! I really need y’all’s help!!! Thank ya’llso much in advance!!!

I agree that first question is brooder temp. What you're describing is how they act when over-heated. I can tell you that my 2 week olds have a heat plate but I removed my heat lamp after just a few days and the room temp/brooder temp is *70. They're racing around showing zero signs of being cold. Be more afraid of over heating, than of under heating no matter what you read about them needing excessive heat.

She started laying down with both of her wings apart and not eating or drinking and won’t even walk! This morning when I went to check on her to give her some fresh water she seemed like she was gasping for air!
Check for pasty butt.. it's deadly fast and symptoms fit.

ETA: Welcome to BYC! :frow

Sorry you face this.

Another possibility might be coccidiosis, doesn't always present as blood in droppings.

Back
Top Bottom