Identification assistance needed!

remingtonleigh

Chirping
Apr 12, 2024
North Carolina, USA
Hi feathered friend enthusiasts!
A chick that I am raising for my neighbor was listed as a Barred Rock, but is much smaller than her siblings, and also has different coloration. My neighbor picked her up at TSC.

I’ve been watching her closely to make sure she’s not sick, but haven’t noticed any symptoms - she’s active, eating, drinking, and pooping!

From my internet sleuthing, I feel like she may be a Serama, but am definitely no expert, and would be grateful for any, and all feedback!

If it is believed that she’s a Serama, will she be okay to be free range? I’m concerned because I know the breed is very small! My neighbor’s flock is free range, and roosts in her barn.

Thanks so much!!

Photo of Eclipse, and one of the “sibling” chicks she came with!

Attachments

• IMG_2901.jpeg
    IMG_2901.jpeg
    553.1 KB · Views: 52
I have a booted bantam hen running around and young chicks running around free ranging but I do have game roosters for protection 😂. I would say if you don't have any predators in your area it will be fine. How old is that chick?
Unfortunately, we do have a ton of predators around who have previously killed younger chickens, and a hen one night.

We think it was a fox that killed them - a couple days later one of the donkeys ended up killing a fox in the pasture.

And she’s 1.5 weeks old as far as I know! Depending on how she grows, I may end up putting a more secure coop at my house!

Last edited:
Unfortunately, we do have a ton of predators around who have previously killed younger chickens, and a hen one night.

We think it was a fox that killed them - a couple days later one of the donkeys ended up killing a fox in the pasture.

And she’s 1.5 weeks old as far as I know! Depending on how she grows, I may end up putting a more secure coop at my house!
Yeah a secure coop and wait till it gets all its feathers usually around 6 weeks and it'll be good to be outside in the day in the night just lock it up.

My neighbor picked her up at TSC.
...From my internet sleuthing, I feel like she may be a Serama, but am definitely no expert, and would be grateful for any, and all feedback!
If the chick came from TSC, it is almost certainly not a Serama. TSC gets their chicks from several of the major hatcheries, and none of those have been offering Seramas, because the tiny chicks do not survive shipping as well as most other breeds (no point in hatching chicks, shipping them, and having them all die on the way!)

Maybe a Black Tailed White Japanese Bantam? They have a rather distinctive body shape and coloring when they are grown up, but the chicks are not as obviously different from other breeds, so I could easily be wrong at this age.

Or maybe some variety of Old English Game Bantam. They are quite common in bantam assortments at stores, and they come in many colors.

Back
Top Bottom